10485Anyone out there looking for Mottled Petrels?

  • Brian Sullivan
    Dec 1, 2012
      Birders

      I did a bit of seawatching between storms here at Pt. Pinos in Pacific
      Grove this morning. In windless conditions there were excellent numbers of
      birds offshore, especially Northern Fulmars. I'm wondering if anyone else
      is seeing good numbers from shore?

      I was hoping to find a Mottled Petrel today (I know, long shot), but hear
      me out. This year there were unprecedented flights at St. Paul Island, one
      day with several thousand birds. Check out this report:

      Several were also seen recently from Boiler Bay in Oregon during a good
      seabird flight. These strong Pacific storms can displace tubenoses toward
      shore, but unfortunately there seems to be relatively little wind with
      these last three storms--at least here in Monterey. What I'm looking for
      are really strong northwesterlies following one of these big systems, as
      those are the conditions that produce big seabird flights at Pt. Pinos. If
      we get those, I think there's a reasonable chance for Mottled Petrel from
      shore if people put in the time looking. I don't see much wind in the
      marine forecast for the following week, but I'll be keeping an eye on it!
      Here's my full checklist from today:

      Thanks

      Brian

      --