Change Signals at Summit (Why?)

  • sergio milko
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2005
      Why the signal outside the summit depot was change from upper quadrant to a lower quadrant?. Was it better?

      "Thompson, John A" <John.A.Thompson@...> wrote:To all:

      Rob McLear wrote:
      ---------------------------------------

      Hi to all.

      I am after some information on the signal outside the summit depot - was
      it a lower quadrant train order signal or an upper quadrant
      train order signal. I believe it was the lower quadrant but need help
      in finding out for sure. If it was the lower order quadrant signal then
      does anyone know where you can get the parts that John Cunningham refers
      to in his article in the Santa Fe Modeler from July/August 1985.
      Specifically I am looking for the Model Masterpieces three position
      lower quadrant signal that he refers to in the article.

      I have the mast and ladder completed together with all the associated
      mounting brackets but not the signals at the top. Any help would be
      much appreciated.

      Rob McLear.
      Brisbane Australia.

      Rob,

      The Summit train order signal was upper quadrant until sometime between
      early 1952 and early 1953, by which time it had been changed to a lower
      quadrant signal (perhaps at the same time the depot's bay window roof
      was rebuilt to merge with the main roof).

      We contacted a couple of HO manufacturers, including Tomar, about making
      models that were closer to the Cajon Pass train order boards, but I
      haven't heard about any results yet.

      Can anyone add to this?

      John Thompson

      Sergio Milko
      AT&SF Cajon Pass
      South California Division

    • Thompson, John A
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2005
        To all:

        Sergio Milko wrote:

        Why the signal outside the summit depot was change from upper quadrant
        to a lower quadrant? Was it better?

        I think the story I heard from Chard Walker was that a lower quadrant
        signal was easier to operate, including for the women operators who were
        starting to work at Summit at that time.

        Can anyone verify this?

        John Thompson