3751 Headed East to Illinois in July

  • JThomp1945@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2010
      To all:

      Sorry that I've been off doing other things for so long again. I've been meaning to collect some info about the Leon Turn for Otto too.

      Below is a message from another list that may be of interest to many of you.

      John Thompson

      Big Steam Train Coming to Train Festival 2011

      Santa Fe #3751 to Attend Train Festival 2011, July 2011. Rock Island, Il will
      host America’s Largest Celebration of Railroading in 2011. It is only fitting
      that one of the largest operating steam locomotives in the world is scheduled to
      attend Train Festival 2011. The 425 ton steel monster, Santa Fe steam locomotive
      no. 3751, is planning to make the nearly 5000 mile round trip from LosAngeles to
      Rock Island, Il.

      Train Festival 2011 organizers in partnership with Amtrak, Burlington Northern
      Santa Fe Railway, California Zephyr Railcar Charters and the San Bernardino
      Railroad Historical Society are planning to bring the no. 3751 back to the
      Midwest. The no. 3751, built in 1927, visited Chicago in 1992, it has not made a
      long trip of this nature since then. This will be the first time tickets will be
      available for purchase to ride behind the locomotive in the Midwest.

      The no. 3751 steam locomotive is scheduled to pull an upscale excursion made up
      of privately owned first class passenger cars from the LosAngeles area to Rock
      Island. An excursion will be operated on Friday July 22, 2011 from Rock Island
      to Bureau, Il and return as part of the festival. Tickets are on sale on the
      Train Festival 2011 website for this excursion. [www.trainfestival2011.com]
      Santa Fe steam locomotive no. 3751 will spend the remaining time on display at
      Train Festival 2011 in downtown Rock Island, Il. After the event, the no. 3751
      will operate an excursion back to LosAngeles. Details for tickets on the
      excursions to and from LosAngeles will be announced soon. Check the Train
      Festival 2011 website for more details.

      This addition of Santa Fe steam locomotive is just one of as many as 8 steam
      locomotives to attend Train Festival 2011 as well as many vintage diesel
      locomotives. Train Festival 2011 will also include train excursions, riverboat
      cruises, model trains, a miniature railroad, train merchandise and much more.

      Website Links: