Discussion: July meeting location/date

  • ed_cawest
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 8 3:26 PM
      We have a choice of two existing reservations:

      Jul 19 Campbell Library 12:30PM - 5:30PM
      Pros: our regular day and place
      Cons: a short meeting, $10 already paid for 7/26 @ Los Altos

      or

      Jul 26 Los Altos Library 11:00AM - 10:00PM
      Pros: plenty of time
      Cons: not the usual day or place

      This is open for discussion on the group: Which one?
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 8 8:08 PM
        My vote is for July 26, because I'll be gone on the 19th.

        One more consideration is that I put July 26 on the fliers I distributed to all the libraries and stores back in May.  But it's up to group consensus.  Or, as Ed said, we could have 2 meetings!  xD

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 8 9:07 PM
          On Tuesday 08 July 2008 at 08:08 pm, Eileen Chong wrote:
          > My vote is for July 26, because I'll be gone on the 19th.

          Funny, I was going to say that my vote would be for the 19th, because I'll be
          gone on the 26th. (Seriously, though, if the group would prefer the 26th,
          I'll prep a machine and send it along with the projector.)

          > Or, as Ed said, we could have 2 meetings! xD

          Only if you want to watch the same things twice, 'cause I don't think I want
          to put together two different schedules. <grin>

          Ah say, son, you're about as sharp as a bowlin' ball.
        • ehem+yahoo@m5p.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 9 9:53 PM
            >From: ed_cawest <GOODWINE@...>
            > We have a choice of two existing reservations:
            >
            > Jul 19 Campbell Library 12:30PM - 5:30PM
            > Pros: our regular day and place
            > Cons: a short meeting, $10 already paid for 7/26 @ Los Altos
            >
            > or
            >
            > Jul 26 Los Altos Library 11:00AM - 10:00PM
            > Pros: plenty of time
            > Cons: not the usual day or place
            >
            > This is open for discussion on the group: Which one?

            Cute, there are distinct downsides for both for me. The first loses an
            hour and a half. The second is much longer, but I'm liable to get to the
            meeting late (prior engagement).

            The balance though strongly argues for July 26th. Even though the time is
            a little interesting, the location is much closer to me. I'll take the
            greater time at the end over shortening the meeting.

            I've managed to get my hands on a useful piece of network hardware that
            I'll be bringing to the meeting. If the meeting is on the 26th, expect a
            brief network downtime when I arrive, since folks will want this in use
            (since it is a heck of a lot better than what is currently used).

            --
            (\___(\___(\______ --=> 8-) EHM <=-- ______/)___/)___/)
            \BS ( | EHeM@... PGP F6B23DE0 | ) /
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 13 2:31 PM
              My vote, here, is for the 19th, since I made travel plans a long time
              ago which would keep me here for the regular meeting, but gone on the
              26th That makes it a 2 to 2 tie. I guess nobody else had a strong
              enough preference to comment on it.

              Since the people with the equipment and the program are available on
              the 19th, not the 26th, and it's when and where people expect to find
              us, we'll have the July meeting on the 19th in the Campbell library.
              It'll be a little short, but the other factors outweigh that.

              That leaves the pre-paid reservation at Los Altos available for a
              second meeting if anyone wants to run it. The equipment and the
              (shortened) program will be at the Campbell Library the afternoon of
              the 19th if someone (well-known to us) wants to hold onto it to use
              on the 26th. If you want, you can watch the program you missed,
              and/or whatever else you can provide to fill whatever time you want
              to use.

              Let me know ASAP if someone wants to do this 2nd meeting. If I don't
              hear from someone in the next day or two I'm planning to try to
              cancel Los Altos this week & get a refund.

              Ed

              --- In CA-West@yahoogroups.com, ehem+yahoo@... wrote:

              > >From: ed_cawest <GOODWINE@...>
              > > We have a choice of two existing reservations:
              > >
              > > Jul 19 Campbell Library 12:30PM - 5:30PM
              > > Pros: our regular day and place
              > > Cons: a short meeting, $10 already paid for 7/26 @ Los Altos
              > >
              > > or
              > >
              > > Jul 26 Los Altos Library 11:00AM - 10:00PM
              > > Pros: plenty of time
              > > Cons: not the usual day or place
              > >
              > > This is open for discussion on the group: Which one?
              >
              > Cute, there are distinct downsides for both for me. The first loses
              an
              > hour and a half. The second is much longer, but I'm liable to get
              to the
              > meeting late (prior engagement).
              >
              > The balance though strongly argues for July 26th. Even though the
              time is
              > a little interesting, the location is much closer to me. I'll take
              the
              > greater time at the end over shortening the meeting.
              >

              > I've managed to get my hands on a useful piece of network hardware
              that
              > I'll be bringing to the meeting. If the meeting is on the 26th,
              expect a
              > brief network downtime when I arrive, since folks will want this in
              use
              > (since it is a heck of a lot better than what is currently used).
              >

              > --
              ___/)

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 17 2:59 PM
                Okay.  As I said before, in the "July 26th Ideas" thread and other places, I won't be able to make the 19th.  I could make the 26th (on time) and bring equipment from Ed's house if people want to meet and need it.  We could show randoms, gimp things together, and so forth.

                Let me know what you guys decide for the August meeting, and if you want to keep the 17th Milpitas reservation or change it to something else.  If we happen to make it Aug the 16th, I also won't be able to make it as it appears I have a "family reunion" on that date.