Re: [CA-West] Meeting Poll

    Message 1 of 4 , May 19, 2008
      On Monday 19 May 2008, Eileen Chong wrote:
      > This is Eileen. I hope this doesn't step on Ed and Casey's toes, but I
      > wanted to ask people in the club some questions (since I'm reserving some
      > of the meeting rooms), take a poll, and maybe start a discussion. Do you
      > guys want longer meetings (7, 8, 9 hours), would you like to keep them the
      > way they are and maybe do something afterward (maybe go out to eat or go to
      > a local Japanese/cultural festival, if there is one), what time is too late
      > to stay out for you and you turn into a pumpkin, etc.?

      It does step on toes a bit -- sorry Eileen.

      We have a long-standing policy that programming decisions (meeting schedule,
      location, and such) are made at meetings by the people who attend the
      meetings. We don't want to get into a situation where people who don't show
      up have an inordinate influence over those who do.

      That said, I have no objection to *discussing* the sort of things you're
      asking about here in the group, as long as we're all clear that no actual
      *decisions* will be made here; only at the meetings.

      To avoid confusion, I'll provide *my* answers to the questions in a separate
      message.

      The geographical center of Boston is in Roxbury. Due north of the
      center we find the South End. This is not to be confused with South
      Boston which lies directly east from the South End. North of the South
      End is East Boston and southwest of East Boston is the North End.
      Message 2 of 4 , May 19, 2008
        On Monday 19 May 2008 at 01:41 pm, you wrote:
        > guys want longer meetings (7, 8, 9 hours), would you like to keep them the
        > way they are and maybe do something afterward (maybe go out to eat or go to
        > a local Japanese/cultural festival, if there is one), what time is too late
        > to stay out for you and you turn into a pumpkin, etc.?

        So, speaking as Casey, rather than as the guy who puts the schedule together,
        my feeling is that the current length is about right. It's long enough to
        let us get in a good variety of shows, but short enough that we mostly avoid
        burnout. Stretching a bit longer would be OK, but I'm not sure I could
        personally stand (or rather, sit) for more than about 7 hours of anime.
        There's also the commute to consider, and the need to do things other than
        the meeting; I'd really rather not stay too much longer than we do now, or
        I'm going to start getting caught in post-event traffic around the Oakland
        Coliseum, and running out of time for those nagging little errands like
        grocery shopping, and picking up the dry-cleaning.

        I'm not fond of large-group dining, both because I hate dealing with the
        logistics (picking a place, dividing the check, etc.) and because I always
        seem to wind up sitting next to the one person I *don't* want to talk to (for
        example, it seems like I always wind up next to my boss at a work lunch!),
        but I'd be up for an occasional trip to a festival or movie showing.

        "No, `Eureka' is Greek for `This bath is too hot.'"
        -- Dr. Who
      • Mike
        Message 3 of 4 , May 20, 2008

          On the edge of being totally OT let me recommend Redbelt as it's on its way out of the theatres (final week at Camera 12 and AMC Cupertino 16).  It's about, Mike Terry (Chiwetel Ejiofor), a jiu-jitsu instructor in Los Angeles whose dedication to the code of the warrior comes up against those who would have him enter a pay-per-view competition against his principles after tape of him saving a Hollywood action star (played by Tim Allen) from a night club beating surfaces.

          Not suggesting a group outing, just planting the thought for anyone looking for a good movie that everyone else hasn't seen.  Redbelt runs through Thursday night--10:10pm at the AMC; 4:20 & 9:10 at the Camera 12.  Really cool movie.
          trailers
          HD Trailers

          Mike

          I'm not fond of large-group dining, both because I hate dealing with the
          logistics (picking a place, dividing the check, etc.) and because I always
          seem to wind up sitting next to the one person I *don't* want to talk to (for
          example, it seems like I always wind up next to my boss at a work lunch!),
          but I'd be up for an occasional trip to a festival or movie showing.

          "No, `Eureka' is Greek for `This bath is too hot.'"
                  -- Dr. Who

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to: