which NAS?

  • ed_cawest
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2009
      Sorry if anybody considers this off-topic, but I figured that it's about the club's network, so ...

      Every NAS that's hooked to the network at our meetings is different. Each person had their reasons for picking the one they bought. A friend who's planning to buy one asked me for our opinions.

      I'll start with why I bought my LinkSys NAS200:
      Pros: price ($100 empty), lack of complaints on-line, 2 USB ports
      Cons: speed (no gig e'net)

      I welcome everybody's input about theirs.

      thanks, Ed
      Message 2 of 2 , May 5, 2009
        On Saturday 02 May 2009 at 10:45 am, ed_cawest wrote:
        > I welcome everybody's input about theirs.

        I've got two:

        Buffalo TeraStation: Purchased because at the time (5 years ago) I needed 500 GB of storage *fast* and it was available. Pros: works very reliably. Cons: slow and small. Not easily expandable.

        Synology DS207+: Pros: firmware upgrades are frequent and easy to find, active community support supplies additional software with the company's blessing, nfs support is built-in. Cons: Two drives doesn't offer much flexibility. I'd recommend a model with four drives.

        The typewriting machine, when played with expression, is no more
        annoying than the piano when played by a sister or near relation.
        -- Oscar Wilde