Positive experience upgrading Seagate firmware.

  • Manny Street
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 27, 2009
      Hey all!
      I thought some of you might benefit from some of my recent experiences...
      I'm writing to show my overall positive experience upgrading Seagate drive firmware.

      Unfortunately I discovered that I have a 2nd Seagate drive with the "bad" firmware that you've probably heard about recently.
      The first was a 1TB (ST31000340AS) that I client company had (which failed after filling up 250G and being unable to write more).
      The second was also a 1TB (ST31000340AS)  that I use for personal use.
      Note: I feel more confident upgrading a 1TB drive then a 500GB drive as there have been issues with the 500GB (see note at bottom).

      Affected drive models (I had the one in RED):
      http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=207951

      This article applies to the following models:

      Drive Family

      Firmware Affected

      Models Affected

      Recommended firmware Update

      Seagate Barracuda 7200.11

      AD14, SD15, SD16, SD17, SD18, SD19, SD81

      ST3500320AS

      Download

      ST3500620AS

      Download

      ST3500820AS

      Download

      ST3640330AS

      Please contact support for update.

      ST3640530AS

      Please contact support for update.

      ST3750330AS

      Download

      ST3750630AS

      Download

      ST31000340AS

      Download

      Please verify your drive model number, serial number, and firmware revision using the Drive Detect software.

      http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/downloads/firmware/MooseDT-SD1A-3D4D-16-32MB.ISO

      http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=207931
      http://forums.seagate.com/stx/board/message?board.id=ata_drives&thread.id=6813&view=by_date_ascending&page=1 - Forum thread

      It feels like I spent the week copying data... first off I backed up the 1TB of data (mostly onto my new 4x250 raid-5 array ~ 12 hrs)
      Then I burned and booted from the ISO/CD I downloaded from the link above and... voila, everything worked like a charm... Amazing!
      Oh wait first I unplugged ALL my drives except the one and re-cabled so that it was on my internal mb SATA controller and not my SATA controller card (odd).

      Note: be SURE to get the LATEST version of the firmware there appears to have been a debacle of 2-3 different firmware being released the first of which
      "bricked" lots of drives.  There have even been claims that Seagate released multimple versions of firmware with the exact same size and name but different md5
      signatures (is that a crime?).
      I would do research before trying any upgrade but I would do even more research before upgrading anything other then a 1TB drive.

      Side project: breathing life into aging 250G drives by turning them into an IDE RAID-5 (much more copying!!)