Reading Daily Life in Byzantium...

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 15, 2011
      Greetings all,

      In my "spare time" (like what, ten minutes a day, lol!) I've finally been diving into "Daily Life in Byzantium" by Tamera Talbot Rice.

      I've managed to get through the bit on "The Emperor and nobility" and "Church and Churchmen" so far. Both have had some really interesting details on daily court/church life I haven't seen elsewhere.

      I'm looking forward to getting into more "everyday" stuff as the daily course of life and business in Byzantium really does seem to be a little explored subject!

      In any case this work seems worth picking up, especially since it's pretty reasonably priced. Now if only there were a dozen more like it, Byzantium might not be so "lost", lol!

      -Marcus Cassius Julianus
    • J. C. Smith Ispán
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 15, 2011
        Is this a good candidate for our next  book in the Bibliotheca?

        "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." -- Ayn Rand (1905-1982)