Re: Recipes!

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 15, 2011
      Greetings Amma,

      I haven't been to this list in a while as I've been swamped at work. I've finally had a chance to check out these recipes... and now I'm hungry, lol!

      Some of these things would be great to try at live events. I used to run a yearly event in my town called "Roman Market Day"... we have a legion of Roman reenactors in the next state, and there was a gladiator troup that would come from MD. We'd have a Roman encampment where they would do presentations, weapons & marching drills, etc. The Gladiators would put on three live-steel shows over the course of the day as well. We had Roman oriented vendors... and Roman food! That was always a huge hit with the crowds. ;)

      I'm hoping we'll eventually reach the size where some of the Provinces can do live demonstrations, classes, etc... and serve a "taste of Byzantium" as well. Nothing makes a more pleasant learning experience.

      -Marcus Cassius Julianus

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 11, 2011
        Sorry this is taking me so long to get back to! My email inbox is full of things I need to clear up!

        At any rate, yes! My dream would be to set up and cook for folks. Much can be learned by incorporating the historical foods. I have no doubt that we'll be able to promote BN by offering tasty treats to people. I would be happy to help the larger groups create menus and work with those sorts of things if anyone decides to gather a bunch of folks up at some point.

        He who attains love cannot fall.

        —Saint Macarius the Great

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 12, 2011
          Greetings,

          Very cool idea. Once we start getting real local Colonies going, we can hopefully start doing some public events. I used to do a public Roman Market Day for Nova Roma, where we offered a day of Roman food, shopping, presentations, etc. (I've only mentioned this what, a thousand times?)

          The Roman food was always a big hit. If there was a simple Byzantine menu (say three or four simple foods one might eat at lunch) that could be offered I'm sure it would be very popular. :)

          -Cassius

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 12, 2011
            Yep, at least a thousand, and every time I think "come on Lotto fairy" so that I can make it happen on a grand scale! Doing an easy finger-foods kind of thing would be perfect for an event. Oh, it would be FUN!!!

            On 3/12/2011 3:24 PM, Cassius wrote:

            Greetings,

            Very cool idea. Once we start getting real local Colonies going, we can hopefully start doing some public events. I used to do a public Roman Market Day for Nova Roma, where we offered a day of Roman food, shopping, presentations, etc. (I've only mentioned this what, a thousand times?)

            The Roman food was always a big hit. If there was a simple Byzantine menu (say three or four simple foods one might eat at lunch) that could be offered I'm sure it would be very popular. :)

            -Cassius

            --- In ByzantiumNovumCulture@yahoogroups.com, Amma Doukaina <ammadoukaina@...> wrote:

            > Sorry this is taking me so long to get back to! My email inbox is full
            > of things I need to clear up!
            >
            > At any rate, yes! My dream would be to set up and cook for folks. Much
            > can be learned by incorporating the historical foods. I have no doubt
            > that we'll be able to promote BN by offering tasty treats to people. I
            > would be happy to help the larger groups create menus and work with
            > those sorts of things if anyone decides to gather a bunch of folks up at
            > some point.
            >

            > Blessings,
            > Amma
            >
            > He who attains love cannot fall.
            >
            > ---Saint Macarius the Great
            >

            > On 2/15/2011 6:57 AM, Cassius wrote:
            > >
            > > Greetings Amma,
            > >
            > > I haven't been to this list in a while as I've been swamped at work.
            > > I've finally had a chance to check out these recipes... and now I'm
            > > hungry, lol!
            > >
            > > Some of these things would be great to try at live events. I used to
            > > run a yearly event in my town called "Roman Market Day"... we have a
            > > legion of Roman reenactors in the next state, and there was a
            > > gladiator troup that would come from MD. We'd have a Roman encampment
            > > where they would do presentations, weapons & marching drills, etc. The
            > > Gladiators would put on three live-steel shows over the course of the
            > > day as well. We had Roman oriented vendors... and Roman food! That was
            > > always a huge hit with the crowds. ;)
            > >
            > > I'm hoping we'll eventually reach the size where some of the Provinces
            > > can do live demonstrations, classes, etc... and serve a "taste of
            > > Byzantium" as well. Nothing makes a more pleasant learning experience.
            > >
            > > -Marcus Cassius Julianus
            > >
            > > --- In ByzantiumNovumCulture@yahoogroups.com
            > > <mailto:ByzantiumNovumCulture%40yahoogroups.com>, "ammadoukaina"
            > > <ammadoukaina@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I found this page and I was thrilled! I have looked it over and
            > > while it's not perfect, it's quite good. I thought perhaps someone
            > > would like to try their hand at something Byzantine!
            > > >
            > > > http://nvg.org.au/documents/other/byzantinerecipes.pdf

          • J. C. Smith ispán
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 12, 2011
              That's also part of the idea behind the mayors -- we only have one right now (Phoenix AZ).  They're intended to be the drivers behind local meetings.

              "Since this is an era when many people are concerned about 'fairness' and 'social justice,' what is your 'fair share' of what someone else has worked for?"

                                          -- Thomas Sowell