Ladies!

  • ammadoukaina
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2011
      Hello ladies! I know I have asked before about the ladies in BN, and I know we are few, but mighty!! I would love to have some discussion, ideas, etc., on how we, as modern women, might embrace the historical lives of Byzantine women. Are there specific skills you have that you could teach the rest of us? Do you produce videos of your skill? I would love to learn more about the way women in particular bring things Byzantine into your lives.

      For me, it's cooking, but I'd love to learn more about costuming, jewelry making and other crafts, dances, songs, religious women's lives, and whatever else comes up!

      I'd love to hear your thoughts, look at links, read books and more!

    • Belle Morte Statia
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2011
        Khairete,

        I uh write poetry does that count?  You know we have a women's list set up for Nova Roma where we discuss "things of the feminine orgin" perhaps when our numbers grow in female population, it is something we could also do here.

        Pax,
        Altessa Aeternia

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2011
          Of course that counts! As for a strictly ladies' group, it was discussed at some length, and the decision was, for now, to not get a separate group just for us (as there are fewer than a dozen of us!) but to try and help the culture list grow and flourish as it's been a bit lacking. So, for now, let us discuss here! If the time comes where we need our own list, I'll be on top of it. That's kind of a hope for me, but maybe the men will offer us some ideas and information!
          And so, ladies, let's go! I know there aren't many of us, but we can add sisters!
          Blessings, Amma
          He who attains love cannot fall.

          —Saint Macarius the Great

          On 1/1/2011 9:50 PM, Belle Morte Statia wrote:

[...]

        • Timothy Dawson
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 3, 2011
            One essential reference will be Lynda Garland (ed) Byzantine Women:
            Varieties of Experience 800–1200, Ashgate, 2006.

            FYA I attach an extract from the Hetaireia Palaitou Introductory Guide.

            Dr. Timothy Dawson
            Secretary / Treasurer
            Hetaireia Palatiou
          • Smith CTR Jeffrey C
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 3, 2011
              Khaire,

              Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to open the attachment. Can you upload it to the yahoogroups website?

              BADUILA CHALKEUS
              Senator
              Praiphektos kai megas hetaireiarchēs
              Clerk of the Senate
              Eparch of Virginia

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 4, 2011
                  On 3 Jan 2011, at 17:32, Smith CTR Jeffrey C wrote:

                  > I don't seem to be able to open the attachment. Can you upload it
                  to the yahoogroups website?

                  Odd. It is a perfectly ordinary jpeg. But duly up loaded.

                  Timtheos
                  Dr. Timothy Dawson
                  Secretary / Treasurer
                  Hetaireia Palatiou
                • Smith CTR Jeffrey C
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 4, 2011
                    Thanks for uploading it...must be my computer. You're right it is an ordinary JPG but for some reason it won't open for me (I have no problem with other JPGs). Just one more way computers make our lives easier :)

                    Baduila