Vinaigrette for Ostrich

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 19, 2014
      >>>> Vinaigrette for Ostrich <<<<

      Aliter in struthione elixo: piper, lugusticum, thymum aut satureiam, mel, sinape, acetum, liquamen, et oleum. (Ap. 212)

      This is a recipe for boiled ostrich: pepper, lovage, thyme or savory, honey, mustard, vinegar, garum, and oil.

      > 100ml light wine vinegar, or white wine;
      > 100ml garum;
      > 300ml oil;
      > 1 teaspoon of honey;
      > 1 teaspoon of peppercorns ground;
      > ! teaspoon of made mustard;
      > 1 teaspoon thyme leaves, stalks removed;
      > 1 teaspoon freshly chopped lovage.

      Mix all the ingredients together thoroughly and serve wth boiled, roast, or fried ostrich.

      Reference:

      >>Patrick Faas, “Around The Roman Table, Food and Feasting in Ancient Rome,” (University of Chicago Press, 1994).

      Respectfully Submitted;

      Marcus Audens

    • Christopher England
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 19, 2014
        Now that's one thing I haven't had, ostrich. I've had emu before, though. Local sheriff used to raise them.

        Sent from my iPhone

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 19, 2014
          Master Christopher England;

          Several years ago while attending a Roman Event in Maryland, one of the activities planned for the encampment was a Roman picnic where we all laid down on the ground, on our robes, and were served a Roman-Style picnic by the ladies who were in charge of the activity.  The meat that they served was Ostrich sausage.  I asked where they had gotten it and they said that it had come from a local meat market and before that from a local ostrich farm.  Apparently the sausage was fairly easy to get in that part of Maryland.

          The sausage came in large rolls and was circled into a flat coil, fastened by two long slivers of wood and then broiled over the coals of a small campfire.  The sausage was seasoned, of course, and tasted much like pork sausage.  It was surprisingly good.  I am not sure whether it was the appetite of an outdoor picnic or the sausage itself, but I enjoyed the sausage to the degree that when I got back home in Connecticut, I went looking for Ostrich meat in the local markets, but the closest I could find was in a meat market in New York.

          The picnic was quite enjoyable, and every dish was right out of the Apicius recipes which can be found in several cook books.  See  the Bibliography below:

          >> Flower, B., and E. Rosenbaum, "Apicius, The Roman Cookery Book," (Harrap, 1980), London;

          >> Vehling, J., D.,  "Apicius, Cookery and Dining In Imperial Rome," (Dover Pub., 1977), New York;

          >> Patrick Faas, "Around the Roman Table, Food and Feasting In Ancient Rome," {Univ. of Chicago, 1994).

          Enjoy!

          On Jan 19, 2014, at 1:09 PM, Christopher England wrote:

          Now that's one thing I haven't had, ostrich. I've had emu before, though. Local sheriff used to raise them.

          Sent from my iPhone

          Aliter in struthione elixo: piper, lugusticum, thymum aut satureiam, mel, sinape, acetum, liquamen, et oleum. (Ap. 212)

          This is a recipe for boiled ostrich: pepper, lovage, thyme or savory, honey, mustard, vinegar, garum, and oil.

          > 100ml light wine vinegar, or white wine;
          > 100ml garum;
          > 300ml oil;
          > 1 teaspoon of honey;
          > 1 teaspoon of peppercorns ground;
          > ! teaspoon of made mustard;
          > 1 teaspoon thyme leaves, stalks removed;
          > 1 teaspoon freshly chopped lovage.

          Mix all the ingredients together thoroughly and serve wth boiled, roast, or fried ostrich.

          Reference:

          >>Patrick Faas, “Around The Roman Table, Food and Feasting in Ancient Rome,” (University of Chicago Press, 1994).

          Respectfully Submitted;

          Marcus Audens

        • Jeff Smith
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 19, 2014
            Thank you for this note, Senator.

            After seeing your earlier email with the recipe, I was going to make a joke about going ostrich hunting here in Anatoliou Pegalous, but now I see I need to cross the river to Maryland to do my hunting (in a meat market) so it will be easier than I thought.

            You certainly have my interest up about eating some ostrich!

            Several years ago while attending a Roman Event in Maryland, one of the activities planned for the encampment was a Roman picnic where we all laid down on the ground, on our robes, and were served a Roman-Style picnic by the ladies who were in charge of the activity.  The meat that they served was Ostrich sausage.  I asked where they had gotten it and they said that it had come from a local meat market and before that from a local ostrich farm.  Apparently the sausage was fairly easy to get in that part of Maryland.

            The sausage came in large rolls and was circled into a flat coil, fastened by two long slivers of wood and then broiled over the coals of a small campfire.  The sausage was seasoned, of course, and tasted much like pork sausage.  It was surprisingly good.  I am not sure whether it was the appetite of an outdoor picnic or the sausage itself, but I enjoyed the sausage to the degree that when I got back home in Connecticut, I went looking for Ostrich meat in the local markets, but the closest I could find was in a meat market in New York.

            The picnic was quite enjoyable, and every dish was right out of the Apicius recipes which can be found in several cook books.  See  the Bibliography below:

            >> Flower, B., and E. Rosenbaum, "Apicius, The Roman Cookery Book," (Harrap, 1980), London;

            >> Vehling, J., D.,  "Apicius, Cookery and Dining In Imperial Rome," (Dover Pub., 1977), New York;

            >> Patrick Faas, "Around the Roman Table, Food and Feasting In Ancient Rome," {Univ. of Chicago, 1994).

            Enjoy!

            On Jan 19, 2014, at 1:09 PM, Christopher England wrote:

            Now that's one thing I haven't had, ostrich. I've had emu before, though. Local sheriff used to raise them.

            Sent from my iPhone

            Aliter in struthione elixo: piper, lugusticum, thymum aut satureiam, mel, sinape, acetum, liquamen, et oleum. (Ap. 212)

            This is a recipe for boiled ostrich: pepper, lovage, thyme or savory, honey, mustard, vinegar, garum, and oil.

            > 100ml light wine vinegar, or white wine;
            > 100ml garum;
            > 300ml oil;
            > 1 teaspoon of honey;
            > 1 teaspoon of peppercorns ground;
            > ! teaspoon of made mustard;
            > 1 teaspoon thyme leaves, stalks removed;
            > 1 teaspoon freshly chopped lovage.

            Mix all the ingredients together thoroughly and serve wth boiled, roast, or fried ostrich.

            Reference:

            >>Patrick Faas, “Around The Roman Table, Food and Feasting in Ancient Rome,” (University of Chicago Press, 1994).

            Respectfully Submitted;

            Marcus Audens

            BADUILA CHALKEUS
            Senator, Grand Chancellor of Byzantium Novum, Duke of Anatoliou Pelagous, etc.
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 19, 2014
              Senator Baduila;

              Indeed, I would think that your hunting license probably doesn't say anything about Ostrich.  By the way, perhaps you should think about leaving your shotgun at home when you visit the meat market.  They might get the wrong idea (Grin!)

              On Jan 19, 2014, at 2:25 PM, Jeff Smith wrote:

              Thank you for this note, Senator.

              After seeing your earlier email with the recipe, I was going to make a joke about going ostrich hunting here in Anatoliou Pegalous, but now I see I need to cross the river to Maryland to do my hunting (in a meat market) so it will be easier than I thought.

              You certainly have my interest up about eating some ostrich!

              Baduila

            • Jeff Smith
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 19, 2014
                License? We don't need no stinkin' license! ha ha ha

                Good call on the shotgun. I'll take my boar spear.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 19, 2014
                  A quick google search reveals suppliers in Kansas City and St. Louis both. I also found a supplier of day old chicks.

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 19, 2014
                    Senator Baduila;

                    Boar Spear!!??!!  My gosh, I would not go after an Ostrich with anything less than a 30.06 with an auto clip of at least twenty rounds!!  I am what they call a "chicken" when it comes to hunting wild animals.  Come to think of it, I will probably send my wife to pick up the sausage while I stay home in case the phone rings!! (grin!!)  I fear that I am not much of a hunter.  My last hunt I bagged a rabbit, with a bow and arrow,  Holding that poor little body, I was close to tears and felt like a murderer.  I have not shot a bow since except at a bale of hay in my basement.  Target shooting, I am interested in, however, when it comes to meat I will get mine from the grocery store, where at least I feel somewhat insulated from the death of an animal in order to feed my family.  Yeah, I know, what a wutz!  However, I would much rather watch deer from a distance, than shoot a rabbit or squirrel for dinner.  I have been close enough to grizzly bears to touch them and to buffalo the same.  I think of them as truly magnificent beasts, and so much so, that I don't have to prove myself to kill one just to prove how good I am with a modern rifle.

                    I can certainly still defend my country by ordering a torpedo shot at a hostile target and have been fully prepared to do so on occasion, but to take down an innocent animal, is something a little different for me.  So, I will get my Ostrich sausage from a New York meat market, the next time I go, and try not to think about how the sausage got from a live bird to the package in my hand!