Private Houses In Roman Britain

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2013
      >>>> Private Houses In Roman Britain <<<<

      November, 1999 Issue of the Nova Roma Eagle, Part One

      This survey will look at the various excavations of dwelling-houses in Roman Britain, and will compare structure, use, internal fittings, and grounds to the dwelling-houses in the Mediterranean areas of Roman civilization.  It will be seen that while the internal fittings and decorations remain standard from the Mediterranean culture, the structure and the use of the house will change to adapt in several ways to the variations of climate and temperature.  The residential houses of this survey fall generally into two classes exactly parallel to the houses unearthed at Caerwent and Silchester, England.  As the excavations at Silchester and Caerwent have proven, the private dwelling-houses in the Roman-British towns resembled the country houses in the rural districts of the province.

      Two illustrations  (Figs. #1 and 2), which though they may be ultimately derived from Mediterranean precedents, show that the housing types are not Italian.  They are rather Celtic or European.  Obviously houses of such irregular shape could not possibly have been fitted into continuous streets, nor was any attempt made to do so.  The “insulae” of Silchester  and Caerwent were not tenement blocks.  They were rather, simple rectangular spaces, each of which might contain two, three, or even as many as four, separate dwelling-houses with ample garden, or other open, land around them,  The above mentioned illustrations can be found at my blog:

      http://RomanStudies.Blogspot.com

      just as soon as I get them redrawn.  I will make the announcement when such is finished.

      To be continued >>>>

      Reference:

      -- F. Haverfield,”The Roman Occupation of Britain” (revised by George MacDonald), Oxford at the Clarendon Press, 1924.

      Respectfully Submitted;