Re: [ByzantiumNovumCulture] A Cooking Question

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 18, 2013
      Actually, you can use them for lots of things, but I'm wanting to try and use it to cook a hen. You season the hen, stuff it if wanted, then put it in the bladder, which has to be soaked to soften it. It becomes like a sack for the hen. Then you drop it in boiling water for a couple of hours. It produces a very moist and tender hen with lots of flavor because it really locks in the flavors. The recipe most popular for this is poulet de bresse en vessie. It's a hen with lots of truffles, which I can't afford, but I would like to do one with fresh herbs.
      Amma

      On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 21:49:11 -0400, christopher england <cjinglaterra@...> wrote:

      I'm afraid I don't know of any sources, but just out of curiosity, what is it for?

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 19, 2013
        I bet that'd be good. Sounds like something for a special occasion, though, as the last time I checked there's only one hog bladder per hog.

        Now I'll admit that I'm not exactly a master chef, being only the master of the iron skillet with the ability to read a recipe card and get edible results elsewhere, but I wonder if you could use portabellas. Out of the mushrooms I've had they're the best short of morels, which are in a class of their own. Those unfortunalely, you have to pick when they're in season, said season being over, unless you live in a major city and make a sight more money than I do.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 19, 2013
          I haven't ever had truffles, but my understanding is that the flavor is quite unique and nothing else comes close. I love grilled portabella mushrooms, though. Being the only one in my home who loves mushrooms, though, I don't think I'll risk it, because no one would eat it! I would also think they'd be too meaty to put with a hen...portabellas kind of stand on their own like a steak if done well.
          Around here morels are collected wild but I'm unable to go out and collect them. I certainly cannot afford to spend a lot of money on them!!!

          We have a lot of hog farmers around here, but getting a cleaned, dried pig's bladder is likely not an option around here, and I wouldn't have a clue how to prep it appropriately before using to keep out that bladdery smell., nor do I think I really want to!!

          Blessings,

          On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 10:40:09 -0400, christopher england <cjinglaterra@...> wrote:

[...]

        • christopher england
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 19, 2013
            Well look what I found!

            Air Dried 6 Kilo Bladders
            $4.50
            Large air dried bladders are oval shaped and the largest casings holding approximatley 14 pounds(6 Kilos) with a diameter over 194mm. The are used mostly for minced specialty sausage and Mortadella.
            Model: BCLBB

            http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=970

            Think I'll bookmark that website for future reference. I previously found another source for hog bladder, with prices ranging from 20-50¢ apiece, but I didn't think you were interested in anything with a 10,000 piece minimum order. It was a direct source out of the Peoples Republic of China, and I'm pretty sure their intended customer was major corporations.

            I've never had grilled portabellas, but my favorite pub makes portabella fries (actually closer in size to a chicken tender) that are to die for. All their food is excellent, and indeed in some cases is the best of a particular dish I have had anywhere, but these portabella fries are simply amazing. Makes my mouth water just thinking about them.