Re: New member here

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 29, 2010
      Greetings Amma,

      So good to have you here on the culture list. As I'm sure you'll find, Byzantine culture hasn't had anywhere near the attention that say, Classical Roman culture has. Byzantium really IS the "Forgotten Empire." There is very little out there on food, clothing, daily life... endless topics to look into and work with. (Hint, hint!)

      -Marcus Cassius Julianus

      --- In ByzantiumNovumCulture@yahoogroups.com, "ammaulfsson" <ammaulfsson@...> wrote:

      > Hello all,
      >
      > My husband, Eudo the Varangian, has asked me to join him in this new adventure of his, and as a history fanatic, I couldn't say no. My name is Amma, and we're out west in CO.
      >
      > I'm a mother of 4 kids and 4 dogs, and in this modern world, I'm a professional writer and editor, and I also work in the non-profit world as an educator and advocate. Out here, I'm well known enough that the idea of having a more normal life as Amma with Eudo is my idea of a nice escape from the non-stop life I'm leading.
      >
      > I have a degree in medieval history with an emphasis in religious and culinary history, although I admit to being primarily educated in the history of the UK and the Americas. I am fascinated to learn more about Byzantine culture than I already have, and have always been interested in the part of the world responsible for the spice trade being what it was!
      >
      > I look forward to "meeting" everyone and learning from and with you all!
      >
      > Blessings,
      > Amma Ulfsson

    • Amma Ulfsson
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 29, 2010
        Thank you for the welcome to the group! Yes, I have already found the lack of good information out there....luckily much of my education on foods of the medieval and Renaissance periods included the spice trade routes (right through Constantinople) so I have a beginning knowledge of where to look. I'm also familiar enough with the historical Mediterranean diet that I have at least a good place to begin!
        If I can be of service, I hope you will let me know!

        On 11/29/2010 7:38 PM, Cassius wrote:

        Greetings Amma,

        So good to have you here on the culture list. As I'm sure you'll find, Byzantine culture hasn't had anywhere near the attention that say, Classical Roman culture has. Byzantium really IS the "Forgotten Empire." There is very little out there on food, clothing, daily life... endless topics to look into and work with. (Hint, hint!)

        -Marcus Cassius Julianus

        --- In ByzantiumNovumCulture@yahoogroups.com, "ammaulfsson" <ammaulfsson@...> wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > My husband, Eudo the Varangian, has asked me to join him in this new adventure of his, and as a history fanatic, I couldn't say no. My name is Amma, and we're out west in CO.
        >
        > I'm a mother of 4 kids and 4 dogs, and in this modern world, I'm a professional writer and editor, and I also work in the non-profit world as an educator and advocate. Out here, I'm well known enough that the idea of having a more normal life as Amma with Eudo is my idea of a nice escape from the non-stop life I'm leading.
        >
        > I have a degree in medieval history with an emphasis in religious and culinary history, although I admit to being primarily educated in the history of the UK and the Americas. I am fascinated to learn more about Byzantine culture than I already have, and have always been interested in the part of the world responsible for the spice trade being what it was!
        >
        > I look forward to "meeting" everyone and learning from and with you all!
        >
        > Blessings,
        > Amma Ulfsson

      • Belle Morte Statia

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 30, 2010
            We're in Northern CO, up in Ft. Collins. We moved up here from Denver 8 years ago now. He really was only involved with a small group in Denver who were SCA only so they had more people to beat up at fighter practice. :) They did practices with a small group and went to war practice and war for the numbers. They fought hard and, sometimes, dirty, but they always had a good time and drew a crowd. Where are you living now? We're both Southerners originally, and while he loves CO, I don't. We're probably stuck here for a while though, because I don't like being far from the kids, and it looks like they're staying put.
            He who attains love cannot fall.

            —Saint Macarius the Great

            On 11/29/2010 10:27 PM, Belle Morte Statia wrote:

[...]

          • damnnedbeloved
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 30, 2010
              Salve,

              Oh you're in Fort Collins, oh okay. You're wat far north, I was in Lakewood myself lol.

              Vale,
              Aeternia

            • Amma Ulfsson
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 30, 2010
                I did jr. high and high school in Arvada, so I know your area really well! We're considering a move to Boulder next summer when our son hits CU.