The Color Purple: Byzantium Flavors

  • J. C. Smith
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23, 2013
      Hi there,

      An interesting article (actually an announcement for a conference, but lots of good cultural info):

      "Purple was the color of Byzantium. Tyrian purple is the name given to a crimson dye obtained by some mollusks that was used for the fabric worn by the emperor and senior magistrates in Byzantium. While mollusks gave Byzantium its royal color, those very same mollusks and seafoods like mussels, octopus, and fishes like tuna, mackerel and bonito gave Byzantine cookery its royal taste."

      "Gentlemen, you will permit me to put on my spectacles, for I have not only grown gray but almost blind in the service of my country." -- George Washington