Fish Dinner --I can hardly wait until Friday!!!!

  • byzantiumnovumsenator
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 5, 2010
      Culture Members;

      I am not a gourmand or anything but I would suppose that fish would have been a fairly popular dish for dinner, at least in the lands bordering around the sea. So, I thought that I would let my imagination run wild and share with you what I would like to see for a Friday night dinner. It seems that the dinner idea discussed earlier has lost its appeal, and I wanted to revive it if possible. But before we get to the main dish, it seems to me that a nice hot bowl of seafood soup would go well here. Perhaps a mixture of boiled clams, crab, and lobster in a milk-chicken broth mixture, with onions, whole kernel corn and turnips cut small. Simmer the fish and vegetables in chicken broth until tender and add the milk, but do not boil. Serve while hot with bread or crackers. This takes us to the method of fish preparation. Now basic preparation for fish is pretty simple. Poach the fish in a bucket of sea water, and this was considered a specialty dish in the Royal Navy in the 1700 and 1800s. However, perhaps baking the fish would be a little fancier way to go about it. Stuffing the fish cavity after the fish has been cleaned is a very nice way to add flavors to the fish with various vegetables (onions, garlic, various spices , etc.), Meats added inside the fish like pork, bacon or sowbelly will also help. If the scales / skin is removed and the fish is filleted or cut into steaks depending upon the size of the fish, this also sets the preparation styles apart.

      Adding a sauce to the main fish dish can also be a very great addition depending on the kind of fish that is being prepared. A butter sauce, or a more spicy sauce with sliced fruit like oranges or lemons placed on top of the fish while baking would also be worthy of your attention. Normally, steamed vegetables, with a second kind of sauce, adds much to the meal, and end the meal with honey sweetened yogurt, with a juicy kind of fruit sliced into it like apples, oranges, cherries, etc.

      Okay, what kind of fish will we use. I like either salmon or halibut or other kinds of white fish. I am not big on shark. If we are baking the fish whole, I would fill the fish cavity with onions and garlic and perhaps some sliced mushrooms. Add to that two or three slices of pork or bacon. If we are baking a fillet of fish the onion would be sliced and layered on top, the garlic cut up fine and sprinkled over it, the pork would be pinned with small wooden skewers onto the top of the fillet to provide fat and flavor as the fish bakes and the mushrooms would be put into a spicy cream sauce to be ladled over the fish when served.

      Bake in a medium oven (about 300=350 degrees) for about 30 minutes or until cooked through, I do NOT like raw fish!!! I would serve this with probably some kinds of steamed vegetables with a cheese sauce (at least two vegetables). Desert would be as above. Now, as I have said, I am no gourmand, but that kind of a supper sounds pretty good to me. I propose it to this group and invite any or all to improve upon it and make up from this description an actual recipe which I am not very good at.

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 4, 2010
        Salve Senator Audens,

        I had missed this post... now I want to go out for fish, lol!

        I'm looking forward to being able to figure out some Byzantine food. Maybe someday we'll get folks who are into it all enough to be able to make some passable recipies... :)

        Vale,

        Marcus Cassius Julianus