Art of Byzantium from Greek Collections

  • J. C. Smith
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2 8:11 AM
      WASHINGTON, DC―In the first exhibition devoted to Byzantine art at the National Gallery of Art, Washington, some 170 rare and important works, drawn exclusively from Greek collections, will offer a fascinating glimpse of the soul and splendor of the mysterious Byzantine Empire. On view in the West Building from October 6, 2013, through March 2, 2014, Heaven and Earth: Art of Byzantium from Greek Collections will trace the development of Byzantine visual culture from the fourth to the 15th century, beginning with the ancient pagan world of the late Roman Empire and continuing to the opulent and deeply spiritual world of the new Christian Byzantine Empire.

      "A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." -- Yogi Berra

    • Paulos Lykaios
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3 8:06 PM
        I will definitely see this.  sadly the gallery does not allow picture taking.

        Message 3 of 5 , May 19 3:32 PM
          Have you had a chance to go yet?

          Message 4 of 5 , May 19 4:38 PM
            No, the show does not open until October of this year!

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 9, 2013
              Doh!  Sorry.

              JEFFREY C. SMITH

              "Gentlemen, you will permit me to put on my spectacles, for I have not only grown gray but almost blind in the service of my country." -- George Washington