Re: [ByzantiumNovumCulture] Potato Substitution / Stinging Nettles

    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 18, 2012
      Yes, parsnips, carrots, turnips would have all been good substitutes. Taro
      was used by the Romans much like we use potatoes, so that seems the best
      substitute for them. The beauty of medieval cooking is that many things
      can be used/replaced and often were! It was about what was available to
      eat, and it often all got thrown in the pot with the leftovers to keep a
      good stew going.
      Thank you!

      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 19, 2012
        Please don't stop sending things in! I'm sure this was a reply based on
        his not seeing any other replies. I hope you'll continue to send things in
        for The Basilica, Senator. I especially love the recipes!!! :)

        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 21, 2012
          Lady Amma;

          The vegetables that you mention was exactly what I was looking for. I
          am not familiar with Taro, and so I wanted to learn a bit about it.
          Where better to look than to the Lady Amma?

          How can I refuse such a nicely worded request from a very special
          Lady? I will rescind my last and keep things going since you have
          requested such. I trust that if I mention something not known in BN
          that perhaps you would be kind enough to let me know a satisfactory
          replacement or substitute that I may learn from a "Master-Chef!!" I
          am still working on my training (Grin!).

          This is one of the things that urks me to some extent, is someone who
          points out another's errors, but offers nothing themselves.

          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 21, 2012
            Well, I suppose we're all guilty of missing something sometimes, especially in emails; I know I am.. I could talk your ear off about medieval cooking, but sometimes it just blows past my brain in emails! I am certain there was no harm meant. I appreciate the recipes you send, and with a little thought, just about anything can be made medieval. That's what I love about cooking! You can easily move things around and make something fit various times and cultures!

            I'm happy to help find info for you any time! I admit that my knowledge of taro is a bit limited, but my understanding is that it's peeled, soaked overnight and then sliced or chunked up like a potato. I think I'd use parsnips just because they're easier to find in the market. I'm not a fan of turnips, although they'd work great too in that recipe!

            Glad you chose to continue to be involved. As a totally useless side note, I have a HUGE pot of Italian gravy on the stove. I got about 10 lbs of fresh tomatoes yesterday for free from my local fruit/veg stand folks (a nice older couple who use their garage to sell their garden goods). I couldn't resist making a big ol' pot of sauce!

            Blessings as always,
            Amma