"Travel To Rhodes"

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2012
      Greetings All!

      Today was a pretty good day at my house, in that the "Current World Archaeology Magazine" came today with a couple of interesting articles.  One special one which caught my eye was the following:

      Article Review for :

      Richard Hodges, "Travels To Rhodes," Current World Archaeology Magazine #53, London, UK, Pages 54-58.

      I have been studying the fortifications of Rhodes of late, and then this mag. came today with an article about the island and some of its history.  I thought that perhaps some of you would be interested.  Mr Richard Hodges, who is the Director of the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology penned this article after his visit to the island.  Many of his reflections have to do with a book written about Rhodes by Lawrence Durrell's "Reflections on a Marine Venus," from some thirty-three years ago.  This was the statue of Venus that was salvaged from the sea and brought to the attention of those who had read Durrell's book. The eleven pictures which accompany the article are quite lovely and powerful.  At least two of them, I intend to try and redraw since they are of special interest to me. The photographs include the Rhodes Fortifications in dawn light,  the Palace of the Grand Master of the Knights Hospitaller, the Church of Agia Triada, and three photos of unfinished excavations.

      These unfinished excavations are, in the authors opinion, the fault of UNESCO, (since the site of the fortifications was inscribed in 1988 as one of the nearly one thousand such world gems).  In 1972 UNESCO gave as a reason for compiling this list, was to safeguard sites of outstanding universal value.  In the case of the Rhodes fortifications these words do not seem to be followed by any measure of recent activity.  Mr. Hodges uses the phrase, " Less Talk and More Action," in relation to these digs which have been left open and overgrown.     In one case the abandoned archaeological excavations were involved in the historical of the 5th century BC, while still another has to do with Byzantine defenses created from  "mishmash" of previously used stone blocks from other areas in the walled town.

      The article was enjoyable in the photos and descriptions of the parts of Rhodes which have been taken care of over the years, but is disappointing in the revelation that the valuable excavations have been left unfinished and unprotected when there is obviously so much to be learned from their completion.

      Respectfully Submitted;