Re: Byzantine recipies?

  • Paulos Lykios
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 26, 2010
      AAACK! I had totally forgotten that I posted here!

      Yes, I found some recipes on one of the links Cassius included on the main site. Here it is:

      http://www.godecookery.com/byznrec/byznrec.htm

      And if we have some sort of a get together around Roman Days, we could make a group trip to Dumbarton Oaks in DC, which is a Byzantine study center and museum.

      --- In ByzantiumNovumCulture@yahoogroups.com, MMT Audens <mmaudens42nr@...> wrote:

      > Paulus Lyikos;
      >
      > I take it then from your proposal that you have access to Byzantium recipes that differ from Roman dishes?? In my reading the information seems very general indeed! How did the Byzantines season their foods? What items were combined in a single dish?. How were certain dishes prepared? Now, I am as involved as anyone here in Roman dishes, foods. manners, etc. However, I am not sure how the Byzantines changed their diet, seasonings, food usage, and special dishes. Perhaps looking at Turkish, Hungarian and Greek foods will give some ideas.
      >
      > I am not against the idea of a dinner and dress-up but I am simply curious to know what some of the foods for the suggested dinner might be?
      >
      > --Hungarian Goulash?
      > --Mediterranean Cous Cous?
      > --Greek Gyros?
      > --Poached Flounder?
      > --Fish Filets with Anchovy Sauce?
      > --Fish Stew?
      > --Broiled Fish and Garum Sauce?
      > --Greek Style Salad?
      > --Mashed Turnips?
      > --Souse?
      > --Potato Soup?
      > --Meat Pie?
      > --Boiled or Creamed Cabbage and Dried Beef?
      >
      > Those are just a very few ideas which could be further altered in several ways by seasoning, adding and subtracting items, cooking time, type of cooking, etc.
      >
      > Just a few ideas.
      >
      > Respectfully;
      >
      > Marcus Audens
      >

      > --

    • mpsellus
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 28, 2010
        Xairetai!
        I ve read all the recipies on that site and there not even one food that it s there and we don t consume in a weekly basis in Greece. Perhaps i should make dinner for all travelling citizens in Greece!
        Michael Psellus

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2, 2010
          Greetings,

          That's it, I'm coming for dinner! Save me a seat! :)

          Actually, if all the food ingredients used in Byzantium are still around, perhaps we should compile a Byzantine Cookbook for Byzantium Novum? Would be a great resource and lots of fun!

          -Marcus Cassius Julianus

          --- In ByzantiumNovumCulture@yahoogroups.com, "mpsellus" <mpsellus@...> wrote:

          > Xairetai!
          > I ve read all the recipies on that site and there not even one food that it s there and we don t consume in a weekly basis in Greece. Perhaps i should make dinner for all travelling citizens in Greece!
          > Michael Psellus
          >
          > --- In ByzantiumNovumCulture@yahoogroups.com, "Paulos Lykios" <sns1966@> wrote:
          > >
          > > AAACK! I had totally forgotten that I posted here!
          > >
          > > Yes, I found some recipes on one of the links Cassius included on the main site. Here it is:
          > >
          > > http://www.godecookery.com/byznrec/byznrec.htm
          > >
          > > And if we have some sort of a get together around Roman Days, we could make a group trip to Dumbarton Oaks in DC, which is a Byzantine study center and museum.
          > >
          > > --- In ByzantiumNovumCulture@yahoogroups.com, MMT Audens <mmaudens42nr@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Paulus Lyikos;
          > > >
          > > > I take it then from your proposal that you have access to Byzantium recipes that differ from Roman dishes?? In my reading the information seems very general indeed! How did the Byzantines season their foods? What items were combined in a single dish?. How were certain dishes prepared? Now, I am as involved as anyone here in Roman dishes, foods. manners, etc. However, I am not sure how the Byzantines changed their diet, seasonings, food usage, and special dishes. Perhaps looking at Turkish, Hungarian and Greek foods will give some ideas.
          > > >
          > > > I am not against the idea of a dinner and dress-up but I am simply curious to know what some of the foods for the suggested dinner might be?
          > > >
          > > > --Hungarian Goulash?
          > > > --Mediterranean Cous Cous?
          > > > --Greek Gyros?
          > > > --Poached Flounder?
          > > > --Fish Filets with Anchovy Sauce?
          > > > --Fish Stew?
          > > > --Broiled Fish and Garum Sauce?
          > > > --Greek Style Salad?
          > > > --Mashed Turnips?
          > > > --Souse?
          > > > --Potato Soup?
          > > > --Meat Pie?
          > > > --Boiled or Creamed Cabbage and Dried Beef?
          > > >
          > > > Those are just a very few ideas which could be further altered in several ways by seasoning, adding and subtracting items, cooking time, type of cooking, etc.
          > > >
          > > > Just a few ideas.
          > > >
          > > > Respectfully;
          > > >
          > > > Marcus Audens
          > > >

          > > > --

        • mpsellus
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 2, 2010
            Xaire!
            you are always welcome around here. I like to think of me as a good cooker too! :-)
            Michael Psellus