Re: [ByzantiumNovumCulture] Body art in Byzantium?

  • Timothy Dawson
    Message 1 of 9 , May 25, 2012
      Someone has just reminded me of the citation that underlies my comment
      about early Christian attitudes to tattooing:

      Leviticus 19:28
      King James Version (KJV)
      28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor
      print any marks upon you:

      Timothy

      On 14 Apr 2011, at 17:32, Timothy Dawson wrote:

      On 12 Apr 2011, at 08:17, Amma Doukaina wrote:

      > What of the African practices of modification, then? ....

      Virtually all your examples confirm my statement "almost entirely
      confined to non-urban cultures."

      >The Greeks passed it to the Romans.

      Evidence? The only references I recall from Classical Greece
      associated tattooing very negatively with the Skythians and Kelts -
      the quintessential barbarians.

      > The body is a temple,

      Well, there is your problem then. That is an attitude fundamentally
      at odds with the early and medieval Christian outlook. You are trying
      to square the circle.

      Dr. Timothy Dawson
      Secretary / Treasurer
      Hetaireia Palatiou