What would you consider the hallmarks of Byzantine culture?

  • julianabyz
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2 9:57 PM
      I am Interested in starting the discussion and seeing where the group might have some initial focus.

      What would you consider uniquely the hallmarks of Byzantine culture? That which sets it apart from other cultures? That which is pronounced in Byz culture? That which is pervasive to Byza culture and society?

      Juliana
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 6 5:29 AM
        Greetings Juliana,

        I believe there is a "Byzantine Literature Sodalitas" in the works, so there will be some cultural activites starting around here soon. :)

        My personal thoughts regarding "the hallmarks of Byzantine Culture" would include:

        * The Orthodox Church
        * A unique blending of Roman and Greek culture and identity
        * A fascinating history and cultural heritage
        * The preservation of ancient thought and philosophy
        * A unique and beautiful tradition of art and literature
        * A uniquie musical tradition
        * A unique and beautiful style of architecture

        There are more examples of course. The important thing to me at least is that "things Byzantine" are very recognizable - you know them when you see them! "Byzantine Culture" is unique, beautiful and therefore precious and deserving of both survival and revival.

        -Marcus Cassius Julianus

        --- In ByzantiumNovumCulture@yahoogroups.com, "julianabyz" <julianabyz@...> wrote:

        > I am Interested in starting the discussion and seeing where the group might have some initial focus.
        >
        > What would you consider uniquely the hallmarks of Byzantine culture? That which sets it apart from other cultures? That which is pronounced in Byz culture? That which is pervasive to Byza culture and society?
        >

        > Juliana

      • byzantiumnovumsenator
        Message 3 of 4 , May 8, 2010
          Lady Juliana Byz.

          In answer to your query below, to me the word culture means the following," the stage of a civilization and / or the characteristic features of that particular stage." So, in answer to that question the following items seem to me to be characteristic of the age of Byzantium:

          >>Eastern Empire from Constantine to Heraclius (AD 306 -- 641);

          >>Life in the City and Country;

          >>New Religion, Old Culture;

          >>Rise of Islam;

          >>Struggle For Survival (AD 641 -- 780);

          >>Iconoclasm;

          >>The Medieval Empire (AD 780 -- 1204);

          >>Th Revival of Learning;

          >>Spreading the Word; Byzantine Missions;

          >>Fragmentation (AD 1204 -- 1453);

          >>Palaiologan Learning;

          >>Towards a Franco-Greek Culture.

          I have just received one of the books that I have ordered for study;

          Cyril Mango (ed.), "The Oxford History of Byzantium," Oxford University Press. Oxford, New York, 2002.

          The above list are the individual chapters written by different authors, and these chapters seem to me to answer your question very well.

          The other two references that I have for Byzantium are the:

          --"Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire";

          --"Lost To The West"[

          --I also have the Encyclopedia, of course, the internet, and Will Durant's "Western Civilization."

          These above should be sufficient to give me a grounding in Byzantium Novum until the rest of the books arrive. I have not had an opportunity yet to look into the local Library and the others in this area for additional books to use.

          --- In ByzantiumNovumCulture@yahoogroups.com, "julianabyz" <julianabyz@...> wrote:

          > I am Interested in starting the discussion and seeing where the group might have some initial focus.
          >
          > What would you consider uniquely the hallmarks of Byzantine culture? That which sets it apart from other cultures? That which is pronounced in Byz culture? That which is pervasive to Byza culture and society?
          >

          > Juliana

        • byzantiumnovumsenator
          Message 4 of 4 , May 11, 2010
            Lady Juliana Byz.;

            Reviewing my earlier message about the hallmarks of Byzantine Culture, I see that any beginning discussion should probably agree on when you consider the Byz, Empire to have begun. One idea would be the following:

            Chapter XXVI in the "Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire" Vol. I

            Manners of the Pastoral Nations -- Progress of the Huns from China to Europe -- Flight of the Goths -- They pass the Danube -- Gothic War -- Defeat and Death of Valens -- Gratian invests Theodosius with the Eastern Empire -- His Character and Success -- Peace and Settlement of the Goths

            It seems to me that there is enough there to keep a discussion going for some time. In addition , I would suppose that many here would need to at least read tis section as well as related references to get the fullest possible feeling and information on the beginning of Byzantium.

            Anyway, that would bee my suggestions for the beginning of your idea about a Cultural Discussion group.

            Very Respectfully;

            Marcus Audens