The best two Byzantine recipies you'll ever see... :)

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 2012
      Greetings all,

      I'd like to start off the New Year with something "tasteful..."

      Here are the recipes for two Byzantine spice mixes we've been using here. Both are EXCELLENT, and can turn any basic food that would have existed in the Eastern Empire into a veritable Byzantine feast!

      Warning: the "Byzantine Sweet" is absolutely addictive. It works for any Byzantine dessert food, and is awesome just sprinkled on fruit, such as orange slices...

      Cyn's Byzantine Savory

      ¾ cup mixed color peppercorns
      ½ cup pine nuts
      ½ cup parsley
      ½ cup whole coriander
      ½ cup savory
      ½ cup ground cumin
      ½ cup cinnamon
      ½ cup celery seed
      ¼ cup whole white peppercorns
      ¼ cup whole juniper berries
      6 tablespoons ground nutmeg
      1 tablespoon ground cloves
      Grind whole spices
      Grind together in a 1 quart jar
      1 level teaspoon is appropriate spice for each portion

      *****************

      Cyn's Byzantine Sweet

      ¼ cup Byzantine Savory
      ½ cup cinnamon
      ¼ cup whole coriander
      ¼ cup whole cardamom
      2 tablespoons orange peel
      1 tablespoon nutmeg
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 10, 2012
        YUM! Both are great mixes and I look forward to making them when I'm back
        in the kitchen! Thanks for sharing!!

        --
        Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit.

        There is nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure.
        ~~Jack E. Leonard~~
      • Timothy Dawson
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 11, 2012
          The recent discussions reminded that I had intended to put PDFs of
          some of my less accessible articles onto the costume section of my
          website (http://www.levantia.com.au).

          They include:

          'Oriental costumes in the Byzantine Court Reconsidered',
          <CITE>Byzantion</CITE> 75 (2006);

          'Concerning an unrecognised tunic from eastern Anatolia',
          <CITE>Byzantion</CITE>, 73/1 (2003), pp. 201-210;

          'Rome II: More than just a sequel’, <CITE>Skirmish</CITE>, no. 35
          (February/March 2005), pp. 19-20.

          The tunic article incorporates patterns from original garments from
          the fifth century onwards.

          Timothy
        • J. C. Smith ispán
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 11, 2012
            Thanks...would you mind placing this on our links page, or allow one of us to do it?

            Also, I don't see you on our roster of citizens -- woud you do us the honor of joining? http://www.byzantiumnovum.org/citizenship.htm

            "Nothing in our Constitution suggests that government is a grantor of rights. Instead, government is a protector of rights." -- Walter E. Williams

            The recent discussions reminded that I had intended to put PDFs of
            some of my less accessible articles onto the costume section of my
            website (http://www.levantia.com.au).

            They include:

            'Oriental costumes in the Byzantine Court Reconsidered',
            <CITE>Byzantion</CITE> 75 (2006);

            'Concerning an unrecognised tunic from eastern Anatolia',
            <CITE>Byzantion</CITE>, 73/1 (2003), pp. 201-210;

            'Rome II: More than just a sequel&#146;, <CITE>Skirmish</CITE>, no. 35

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 13, 2012

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 16, 2012
                Greetings,

                Many thanks for posting this! I can't wait to order some of your work on Byzantine clothing. I'm glad you have your work available in PDF form so I won't have to pay for shipping from Australia, lol. What an excellent resource! :)

                -Marcus Cassius Julianus