Re: the Cato Journal: Volume 14 Number 2, Fall 1994

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 2011
      Greetings Lady Rohesia,

      Many thanks for posting this! I'm not certain I agree with the overall point of the article but it was certainly an interesting read.

      I'm wondering what the author would think of Byzantine government, which was *strictly* controlled by the State, yet had the strongest currency and economic security in the European continent for centuries.

      Oddly, the largest of the *internal* causes of the collapse of Byzantine prosperity was through privatization. Large land barons began to amass huge tax-free estates that were so wealthy they presented a challenge that eventually bankrupted the state. Reminds me a bit of modern mega-corporations, but I'm sure I'm also reading my own thoughts into history also, lol! ;)

      In any case it's great to see stuff that makes one think. Many thanks for posting it!

      -Marcus Cassius Julianus