New Years Celebrations!

  • J. C. Smith ispán
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 22, 2011
      Hi there,

      September 1st is our official new year (carried over from the old Byzantine calendar).  What are YOU doing to observe it?

      In my area, we're trying to get together for a meeting.  Not sure what we'll do yet, or when exactly it will be, but we want to gather.

      Baduila
      Senator, etc.

      JEFFREY C. SMITH Ispán

      "You're never too old to do something stupid."  -- Keith Roth
    • Sandra Rangel

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 22, 2011
          That's why we love you :)

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 22, 2011
            Lady Rohesia;

            I would say that in the minds of those who were "cool" in my much earlier days (high school), I was definitely considered a "geek."  So much so, that I changed schools to get away from  the "cooler" kids.  I went to a polytechnic high school where I was fortunate enough to be able to keep up my school grades and learn a trade, and when I graduated I had three firm job offers to begin work as a welding apprentice with my first two years of apprenticeship already completed.  I joined the Navy at my father's request because of family concerns, and when I returned home after  a year I found that most of those "cool" friends were either in jail, or struggling in jobs like pumping gas and running errands, their low grade averages limiting their entry into college.  My grades allowed me immediate entrance into Submarine School and an excellent position with many opportunities.

            So, I would say from my limited perspective that being a "geek" is a hidden blessing, and most of those that I knew in school who were "cool" didn't end up well at all.  As Senator Baduila has indicated, "that's why we love you," and I can well imagine your visiting  a reenactment for the purposes that you mention.  I have done that (F & I, Rev, Civil War and Roman Imperial reenactment) for almost 30 years now, and I find it most enjoyable, so I suppose that you could say I am one of the "geekiest" people around. (grin!!!)

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 23, 2011
              Hi there,

              I support the idea and would like to attend, but I can't commit this early.  I would love to help plan, tho'.

              Baduila

              JEFFREY C. SMITH Ispán

              "You're never too old to do something stupid."  -- Keith Roth

              This year we won't be able to do much, but next year, I would LOVE to have
              a giant feast with anyone who could come!
              Anyone interested in helping me plan such an event? It would be a lot of
              fun!

              Amma

              --
              Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit.

              There is nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure.
              ~~Jack E. Leonard~~

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  ByzantiumNovumCulture-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  ByzantiumNovumCulture-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 23, 2011

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 23, 2011
                  LOL come on, man. I want some commitment a year in advance! What's wrong
                  with that? ROFL

                  Feel free to send me your ideas. I'd love to find a central location for
                  us all to get together. And don't worry, you don't have to RSVP till we
                  actually have a plan! LOL

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 23, 2011
                    LOL all is well here.. I dont mind being a geek one bit... just sometimes we remind ourselves just how much of one we are.

                    I too joined the military after high school and now have a pretty good job.... thus I have seen more of the world than probably all my classmates put together. Can report the same here about all the "cool" kids and that they are not doing so "cool" these days. Although some have gone to do amazing things like cancer research & delving into politics but from a very small town in MN the "special" ones are few and far in between. It will be interesting to go to my HS reunion.

                    I wish I woulve found reenactment groups about 5 years earlier than I did... and Im glad I was shown BN (all the blame goes to Baduila). Ive encountered some fiercely negitive-to-newcomers groups... but not here. Now I have a great outlet to do/learn/share about Byzantium culture...

                    Rohesia

                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 23, 2011
                      Yes, I am the guilty party :) and I'm glad you came over to the Greek side :) -- you'll get no remorse from me!

                      Also glad to have gone in the military after college.  Got to see the world (lived on four continents, translated at the Bundestag, sat on Alexander the Great's dais in Babylon, went to "Ur of the Chaldees" to see the birthplace of the prophet Abraham, visited too many castles and cathedrals to count, etc., best of all I made friends all over the world) and loved every minute of it.