Re: Food! Yay! Re: [ByzantiumNovumCulture] Pork & Peas Recipe

    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 18 5:04 PM
      Glad you're enjoying them! More to come, of course, because moving is a
      mess! :)

      Amma

      --
      Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit.

      There is nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure.
      ~~Jack E. Leonard~~
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 19 8:24 AM
        Lady Amma;

        While you are engaged in getting out from under the "mess" of moving,
        let me suggest a quick and rather good breakfast meal. It is really
        quick to make as well. Since we keep a supply of boiled eggs in the
        refrigerator, I decided to make a quick breakfast this morning:

        "Taters 'n Eggs"

        --Three boiled eggs peeled and sliced;
        --one teaspoon of lemon pepper;
        --two small canned potatoes, sliced;
        --one tablespoon of chopped onion;
        --two tablespoons of taco sauce;
        --two tablespoons of butter or margarine.

        Combine the eggs, potatoes, and onion in a small microwavable bowl.
        Sprinkle over the combined foods the lemon-pepper. Combine the taco
        sauce and butter/margarine, and stir well. Pour over all the taco/
        margarine sauce. Stir briefly to mix all well and cover the potatoes
        and eggs with the created sauce. Cover the bowl loosely with a
        saucer, and microwave on high for one and one-half minutes. Let
        stand for one minute covered. Remove from microwave and enjoy!!

        On Aug 18, 2011, at 8:04 PM, Amma Doukaina wrote:

        > Glad you're enjoying them! More to come, of course, because moving
        > is a
        > mess! :)
        >
        > Amma
        >
        > On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 15:58:55 -0600, Juliana <julianabyz@...>
        > wrote:
        >
        >> I just wanted to say I absolutely love! all these food posts. :)
        >> They are helping me get some good inspiration for a Byzantine themed
        >> party.
        >>
        >> Juliana
        >

        > --
        > Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit.
        >
        > There is nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure.
        > ~~Jack E. Leonard~~

      • Sandra Rangel
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 19 8:38 AM
          I'd just like to point out that y'all talking about yummy sounding food right before lunch. Im hungry and Im waiting on my ride to go eat <tummy grumbles>

          Rohesia
        • J. C. Smith ispán
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 19 8:44 AM
            Concur entirely.  Luckily, I'm just waiting for the microwave to get free.  :)

            JEFFREY C. SMITH Ispán

            "You're never too old to do something stupid."  -- Keith Roth

            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 19 10:31 AM
              Thank you! I'll pass this on to my son who just moved into his dorm
              yesterday! He's already asking what can be cooked in a microwave, and he's
              even found a delicious 1 minute peanut butter cake with frosting that can
              be done in the microwave! I rarely use mine except for thawing things, but
              maybe I should experiment more!

              I make Eggs in Purgatory quite a bit. That's about as easy as it gets for
              the stovetop! A spoonful of homemade tomato sauce with a potato cake on
              top and then an egg on top of that, any way you like it! Easy way to get
              rid of leftover sauce and mashed potatoes!

              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 3, 2012
                Lady Amma;

                newsletter, I will be pleased to share my recently developed recipe
                which is really good (in my view ) at any meal:

                "Taters 'n Peas"
                --Three medium potatoes peeled and sliced (1/4" thick);
                --Three cups of fresh peas;
                --One cup of onions sliced small;
                --Two cups of pork or fowl gravy;
                --Three tablespoons of margarine, oil, or butter;
                --Salt and Pepper to taste;
                --Water to cover the mixture;

                Put the Potatoes and Onions in a medium sized oven-safe bowl, add the
                peas, and add water to cover the potato / pea mixture. Add the oil
                and the gravy. Salt and Pepper to taste and stir until well mixed.
                Put in the heated oven (hot enough to boil water) for 15 minutes
                loosely covered with a dish (saucer). Put the bowl on a plate as the
                mixture has a tendency to expand when heated. After the 10 minutes
                remove from the oven, and wrap the bowl and saucer in a towel and
                leave for four hours. This will finish bringing the potatoes and peas
                to the right consistency. Serve with your favorite meat and salad.

                I like three slices of corned beef, with mustard and a small Cob
                Salad, sweet wine vinaigrette, together with grape juice (or wine).

                Suitable Substitutions are encouraged for the above recipe as
                desired. You may use either or both of these recipes.
                ==============

                Mustard (sinapi):

                Just as it does today, the word mustard referred to the plant, its
                seeds, and the hot / spicy sauce made from them. The romans made
                mustard much as we do:

                Mustard seed is carefully cleaned and sieved. Then the seed is
                washed in cold water and soaked for two hours. It is then taken out
                and the water is squeezed out by hand. Put the seed into a new or
                cleaned mortar and pound it with a pestle. When the mustard is
                finely ground, put it in the middle of the mortar and press it down
                with the palm of the hand. Once it has been pressed flat, make
                some incisions in it. Place
                a few burning coals on top of it, and pour over soda water, to draw
                out the bitterness and pallor from the mustard. Then lift the mortar
                and pour out the soda water. Add strong vinegar and mix it through
                the mustard with the mortar.

                Columella recommends that the mustard be mixed with ground almonds and
                pine kernels.

                --Reference:--
                Patrick Faas, "Around The Roman Table; Food and Feasting in Ancient
                Rome," (U of Chicago Press -- 1994), Page 160

              • Hrafn the Varangian
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 3, 2012
                  One problem: potatoes were unknown to the Romans and Byzantines. They would come to Europe from South America in the New World.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 3, 2012
                    Since potatoes weren't part of the Byzantine diet, I think I'll keep that
                    one out, but I will add in that mustard recipe!
                    Thank you! I'm going to have to try to make that mustard!

                    Amma

                    --
                    Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit.

                    Hestia, you who tend the holy house of the lord Apollo, the Far-shooter at
                    goodly Pytho, with soft oil dripping ever from your locks, come now into
                    this house, come, having one mind with Zeus the all-wise, draw near, and
                    withal bestow grace upon my song.
                    -Homer- Hymn 24 to Hestia
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 4, 2012
                      Lady Amma;

                      As I mentioned in the below recioe, Substitutions are encouraged for the recipe.  I am aware that potatoes were not used in the Byzantine Times, however, what would have been a suitable substtitute?  Turnips?, Beetroot?, Carrot?, Parsnip?, Taro?, Flower Bulb?, Artichoke?, Cardoon?, Leek?, Courgettes?, Cabbage?, Cauliflower?, Broccoli?, Brussel Sprouts?, or Mushrooms?

                      Here s another recipe that you can use:

                      Patina of Stinging Nettles

                      Use only the light green shoots that grow in the Spring, and later in the year when the plant has been cut back.

                      Aspicius wrote:

                      "Pluck the wild stinging nettle when the sun is in the sign of the ram and use against sickness as you wish. (Ap. 102)

                      He also gives a recipe:

                      Warm or cold patina of stinging nettle: Take the stinging nettles, wash them, allow to drain and leave to dry on a board.  Chop finely.  Grind 6.8 grams of pepper, moisten with garum and stir.  Add 90 ml of garum and 164ml of oil.  Bring to a boil in a pot.  Once it has boiled, remove from pot and leave to cool.  Then oil a patina pan.  Break 8 eggs and beat them.  Put everything in the patina pan and place in the hot ashes so that it is heated both above and below.  When it is cooked, sprinkle ground pepper over it and serve.

                      wrote:

[...]

                      <*> Your email settings:
                         Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                         (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:
                         ByzantiumNovumCulture-digest@yahoogroups.com
                         ByzantiumNovumCulture-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 4, 2012
                        Greetings All;

                        In the below recipe I should have included a reference in order to be exacting about these things:

                        Patrick Faas, "Around The Roman Table; Food and Feasting In Ancient Rome," (Univ. of Chicago Press -- 1994), Pages 230-231.

                        I hit the send button too soon, being anxious for my lunch, as my lovely wife has just returned from her errands in town.

                        On Sep 4, 2012, at 1:55 PM, James Mathews wrote:

                        Lady Amma;

                        As I mentioned in the below recipe, Substitutions are encouraged for the recipe.  I am aware that potatoes were not used in the Byzantine Times, however, what would have been a suitable substitute?  Turnips?, Beetroot?, Carrot?, Parsnip?, Taro?, Flower Bulb?, Artichoke?, Cardoon?, Leek?, Courgettes?, Cabbage?, Cauliflower?, Broccoli?, Brussel Sprouts?, or Mushrooms?

                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 4, 2012
                          Indeed! Where was my brain!?!? I will add in the substitution
                          possibilities! My apologies!

                          Amma

                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 9, 2012
                              Hrafn the Varangian;

                              I am well aware of what was available in Byzantium.  As I mentioned to Lady Amma I suggested that some substitutions be made from her knowledge and skill at cooking.  Since I have seen no evidence of your involvement in this area, I wonder at your  authority to correct my efforts.  Perhaps if you acquired all the information related to such rather than just a part of it, you would not have embarrassed yourself.

                              I responded to Lady Amma's request with a recipe that I came up with, and asked for her substitutions for food not known in Byzantium.  However, apparently in your eagerness to correct me you didn't get that part of it.   Typical in people who try to embarrass others.

                              I guess that I will not contribute further to Lady amma's "Bascilicum" as I am not eager to undergo such corrections from people who do not have the whole story.

                              Marcus Audens

                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 18, 2012
                                Yes, parsnips, carrots, turnips would have all been good substitutes. Taro
                                was used by the Romans much like we use potatoes, so that seems the best
                                substitute for them. The beauty of medieval cooking is that many things
                                can be used/replaced and often were! It was about what was available to
                                eat, and it often all got thrown in the pot with the leftovers to keep a
                                good stew going.
                                Thank you!

                                Message 15 of 18 , Sep 19, 2012
                                  Please don't stop sending things in! I'm sure this was a reply based on
                                  his not seeing any other replies. I hope you'll continue to send things in
                                  for The Basilica, Senator. I especially love the recipes!!! :)

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Sep 21, 2012
                                    Lady Amma;

                                    The vegetables that you mention was exactly what I was looking for. I
                                    am not familiar with Taro, and so I wanted to learn a bit about it.
                                    Where better to look than to the Lady Amma?

                                    How can I refuse such a nicely worded request from a very special
                                    Lady? I will rescind my last and keep things going since you have
                                    requested such. I trust that if I mention something not known in BN
                                    that perhaps you would be kind enough to let me know a satisfactory
                                    replacement or substitute that I may learn from a "Master-Chef!!" I
                                    am still working on my training (Grin!).

                                    This is one of the things that urks me to some extent, is someone who
                                    points out another's errors, but offers nothing themselves.

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Sep 21, 2012
                                      Well, I suppose we're all guilty of missing something sometimes, especially in emails; I know I am.. I could talk your ear off about medieval cooking, but sometimes it just blows past my brain in emails! I am certain there was no harm meant. I appreciate the recipes you send, and with a little thought, just about anything can be made medieval. That's what I love about cooking! You can easily move things around and make something fit various times and cultures!

                                      I'm happy to help find info for you any time! I admit that my knowledge of taro is a bit limited, but my understanding is that it's peeled, soaked overnight and then sliced or chunked up like a potato. I think I'd use parsnips just because they're easier to find in the market. I'm not a fan of turnips, although they'd work great too in that recipe!

                                      Glad you chose to continue to be involved. As a totally useless side note, I have a HUGE pot of Italian gravy on the stove. I got about 10 lbs of fresh tomatoes yesterday for free from my local fruit/veg stand folks (a nice older couple who use their garage to sell their garden goods). I couldn't resist making a big ol' pot of sauce!

                                      Blessings as always,
                                      Amma