Skip to search.

Egypt in Byzantine Times

  • J. C. Smith isp├ín
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2011
      Hi there,

      I recently responded to an inquiry about Egypt in the era of the Byzantine Empire and it got my interest up in this interesting province in an interesting time.  Of course, the time of Cleopatra (yes, the Elizabeth Taylor one!) was long gone.  It's hard to find a whole lot on this era, so if anyone else has any info, please post it!

      The British Museum has a good webpage on Byzantine Egypt (http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/world_cultures/africa/byzantine_egypt.aspx) and if you click up there where it says "related items" there are some photos of museum pieces from those days.  It appears Egypt was quite the tourist destination back then and there was an extensive public works program which continued the work of the Ptolemies and Romans, but redirected to a Christian focus in keeping with the general nature of the Empire.

      Your Egypt (http://www.youregypt.com/ehistory/history/byzantine/) focuses more on the role of religion in Egypt.  I was aware of the duelling role of Arius and Athanasius and that they were based in Egypt, but there is more here about it (Monophysitism, Dyophysitism, and Monothelitism).  The last paragraph, the doom of the Copts, is quite sad as well.

      Tour Egypt has a good page on Alexandria during the era as well (http://www.touregypt.net/alexhis3.htm).  It mentions grain -- Egypt was the granary of the both the Roman and Byzantine empires, which ultimately led to it's being stripped of much of it's power (kind of like the goose being killed to get the golden egg).  I was unaware that Alexandria was where the old "pagan" knowledge of Socrates and Plato lived on, when attempts to exterminate it were implemented in Greece.

      The University of North Carolina has a good map of Egypt in the early Byzantine era (http://www.unc.edu/awmc/awmcmap11.html), showing the provinces and key points as they were known in that time.  I love maps and this is a pretty good one.

      The country study of Egypt (http://countrystudies.us/egypt/14.htm) has a slightly different tack than the others.  This is perhaps the best overall summary of the ones I am presenting here, wrapping together all the disparate pieces.

      Senator Baduila

      JEFFREY C. SMITH

      "The only way Congress can give one American a dollar is to first take it from another American. Therefore, an entitlement is a congressionally given right for one American to live at the expense of another." -- Economist Walter E. Williams