Byzantine recipies?

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 4, 2010
      Greetings,

      Has anyone out there ever seen any ancient Byzantine recipies? It would be great to not only try some Byzantine style food, but have some receipies in store for food at events, etc. :)

      -Cassius
    • Timothy Dawson
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 5, 2010
        The Byzantines did not write down recipes for everyday foods as far as
        we know. There are literary references to foods and to combinations
        of ingredients which were appreciated, and various people have
        experimented with hypothetical reconstructions based upon them. I
        have found them uniformly delicious myself.

        One link: http://www.levantia.com.au/dailylife/food.html

        Dr. Timothy Dawson
        Secretary / Treasurer
        Hetaireia Palatiou
        http://www.enduring-empire.org.uk
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 8, 2010
          Greetings,

          Many thanks for this information! I wonder if it might be possible for the modern Byzantine community to start making some of its own recipes from traditional ingredients?

          Even more impressive is the Hetaireia Palatiou website. How wonderful! Makes me want to travel to Northern England again just to see you folks. I've been to Northumbria three times to visit sites along the Wall... but that was back in my Nova Roma days.

          How long have you folks been around? You should post this great URL to the main list, btw. :)

          -Cassius

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 11, 2010
            >How long have you folks been around?

            About 5 years. It is hard to get started, but it is coming together
            now.

            > You should post this great URL to the main list, btw. :)

            I am not on the main list. Feel free to pass it on

            Timothy
          • Paulos Lykios
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 11, 2010
              What we need is have a get-together and have some Byzantine food. Remember how Roman Days used to be a big event for NR types? If we could get together, perhaps next year, and have a costume-optional dinner somewhere, complete with Byz music which I am starting to collect...

              --- In ByzantiumNovumCulture@yahoogroups.com, "Cassius" <byzantiumnovum@...> wrote:

              > Greetings,
              >
              > Many thanks for this information! I wonder if it might be possible for the modern Byzantine community to start making some of its own recipes from traditional ingredients?
              >
              > Even more impressive is the Hetaireia Palatiou website. How wonderful! Makes me want to travel to Northern England again just to see you folks. I've been to Northumbria three times to visit sites along the Wall... but that was back in my Nova Roma days.
              >
              > How long have you folks been around? You should post this great URL to the main list, btw. :)
              >
              > -Cassius
              >

              > --- In ByzantiumNovumCulture@yahoogroups.com, Timothy Dawson <timothy@> wrote:
              > >
              > > The Byzantines did not write down recipes for everyday foods as far as
              > > we know. There are literary references to foods and to combinations
              > > of ingredients which were appreciated, and various people have
              > > experimented with hypothetical reconstructions based upon them. I
              > > have found them uniformly delicious myself.
              > >
              > > One link: http://www.levantia.com.au/dailylife/food.html
              > >

              > > Dr. Timothy Dawson
              > > Secretary / Treasurer
              > > Hetaireia Palatiou
              > > http://www.enduring-empire.org.uk

            • MMT Audens
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 17, 2010
                Paulus Lyikos;

                I take it then from your proposal that you have access to Byzantium recipes that differ from Roman dishes??  In my reading the information seems very general indeed!  How did the Byzantines season their foods? What items were combined in a single dish?.  How were certain dishes prepared?  Now, I am as involved as anyone here in Roman dishes, foods. manners, etc.  However, I am not sure how the Byzantines changed their diet, seasonings, food usage, and special dishes.  Perhaps looking at Turkish, Hungarian and Greek foods will give some ideas.

                I am not against the idea of a dinner and dress-up but I am simply curious to know what some of the foods for the suggested dinner might be?

                --Hungarian Goulash?
                --Mediterranean Cous Cous?
                --Greek Gyros?
                --Poached Flounder?
                --Fish Filets with Anchovy Sauce?
                --Fish Stew?
                --Broiled Fish and Garum Sauce?
                --Greek Style Salad?
                --Mashed Turnips?
                --Souse?
                --Potato Soup?
                --Meat Pie?
                --Boiled or Creamed Cabbage and Dried Beef?

                Those are just a very few ideas which could be further altered in several ways by seasoning, adding and subtracting items, cooking time, type of cooking, etc.

                Just a few ideas.

              • Paulos Lykios
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 26, 2010
                  AAACK! I had totally forgotten that I posted here!

                  Yes, I found some recipes on one of the links Cassius included on the main site. Here it is:

                  http://www.godecookery.com/byznrec/byznrec.htm

                  And if we have some sort of a get together around Roman Days, we could make a group trip to Dumbarton Oaks in DC, which is a Byzantine study center and museum.

                  --- In ByzantiumNovumCulture@yahoogroups.com, MMT Audens <mmaudens42nr@...> wrote:

                  > Paulus Lyikos;
                  >
                  > I take it then from your proposal that you have access to Byzantium recipes that differ from Roman dishes?? In my reading the information seems very general indeed! How did the Byzantines season their foods? What items were combined in a single dish?. How were certain dishes prepared? Now, I am as involved as anyone here in Roman dishes, foods. manners, etc. However, I am not sure how the Byzantines changed their diet, seasonings, food usage, and special dishes. Perhaps looking at Turkish, Hungarian and Greek foods will give some ideas.
                  >
                  > I am not against the idea of a dinner and dress-up but I am simply curious to know what some of the foods for the suggested dinner might be?
                  >
                  > --Hungarian Goulash?
                  > --Mediterranean Cous Cous?
                  > --Greek Gyros?
                  > --Poached Flounder?
                  > --Fish Filets with Anchovy Sauce?
                  > --Fish Stew?
                  > --Broiled Fish and Garum Sauce?
                  > --Greek Style Salad?
                  > --Mashed Turnips?
                  > --Souse?
                  > --Potato Soup?
                  > --Meat Pie?
                  > --Boiled or Creamed Cabbage and Dried Beef?
                  >
                  > Those are just a very few ideas which could be further altered in several ways by seasoning, adding and subtracting items, cooking time, type of cooking, etc.
                  >
                  > Just a few ideas.
                  >
                  > Respectfully;
                  >
                  > Marcus Audens
                  >

                  > --

                • mpsellus
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 28, 2010
                    Xairetai!
                    I ve read all the recipies on that site and there not even one food that it s there and we don t consume in a weekly basis in Greece. Perhaps i should make dinner for all travelling citizens in Greece!
                    Michael Psellus

                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 2, 2010
                      Greetings,

                      That's it, I'm coming for dinner! Save me a seat! :)

                      Actually, if all the food ingredients used in Byzantium are still around, perhaps we should compile a Byzantine Cookbook for Byzantium Novum? Would be a great resource and lots of fun!

                      -Marcus Cassius Julianus

                      --- In ByzantiumNovumCulture@yahoogroups.com, "mpsellus" <mpsellus@...> wrote:

                      > Xairetai!
                      > I ve read all the recipies on that site and there not even one food that it s there and we don t consume in a weekly basis in Greece. Perhaps i should make dinner for all travelling citizens in Greece!
                      > Michael Psellus
                      >
                      > --- In ByzantiumNovumCulture@yahoogroups.com, "Paulos Lykios" <sns1966@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > AAACK! I had totally forgotten that I posted here!
                      > >
                      > > Yes, I found some recipes on one of the links Cassius included on the main site. Here it is:
                      > >
                      > > http://www.godecookery.com/byznrec/byznrec.htm
                      > >
                      > > And if we have some sort of a get together around Roman Days, we could make a group trip to Dumbarton Oaks in DC, which is a Byzantine study center and museum.
                      > >
                      > > --- In ByzantiumNovumCulture@yahoogroups.com, MMT Audens <mmaudens42nr@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Paulus Lyikos;
                      > > >
                      > > > I take it then from your proposal that you have access to Byzantium recipes that differ from Roman dishes?? In my reading the information seems very general indeed! How did the Byzantines season their foods? What items were combined in a single dish?. How were certain dishes prepared? Now, I am as involved as anyone here in Roman dishes, foods. manners, etc. However, I am not sure how the Byzantines changed their diet, seasonings, food usage, and special dishes. Perhaps looking at Turkish, Hungarian and Greek foods will give some ideas.
                      > > >
                      > > > I am not against the idea of a dinner and dress-up but I am simply curious to know what some of the foods for the suggested dinner might be?
                      > > >
                      > > > --Hungarian Goulash?
                      > > > --Mediterranean Cous Cous?
                      > > > --Greek Gyros?
                      > > > --Poached Flounder?
                      > > > --Fish Filets with Anchovy Sauce?
                      > > > --Fish Stew?
                      > > > --Broiled Fish and Garum Sauce?
                      > > > --Greek Style Salad?
                      > > > --Mashed Turnips?
                      > > > --Souse?
                      > > > --Potato Soup?
                      > > > --Meat Pie?
                      > > > --Boiled or Creamed Cabbage and Dried Beef?
                      > > >
                      > > > Those are just a very few ideas which could be further altered in several ways by seasoning, adding and subtracting items, cooking time, type of cooking, etc.
                      > > >
                      > > > Just a few ideas.
                      > > >
                      > > > Respectfully;
                      > > >
                      > > > Marcus Audens
                      > > >

                      > > > --

                    • mpsellus
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 2, 2010
                        Xaire!
                        you are always welcome around here. I like to think of me as a good cooker too! :-)
                        Michael Psellus