Byzantine Virtues?

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 11, 2010
      Greetings all,

      Years ago I did work on the Roman Virtues for inclusion in Nova Roma.

      Today I was wondering about what the Byzantine Virtues might be, and started looking for sources on the topic.

      I've seen reference to a work by the Byzantine philosopher Plethos called "On Virtues"... has anyone seen this?

      Identifying the Byzantine Virtues might be helpful for the Culture section of the Byzantium Novum website... :)

      -Marcus Cassius Julianus
    • Juliana
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 12, 2010
        --- On Sun, 7/11/10, Cassius <byzantiumnovum@...> wrote:

        > Identifying the Byzantine Virtues might be helpful for the Culture
        > section of the Byzantium Novum website... :)

        ~and accordingly (or even more so?) what are considered virtues for the modern Byzantine? ;) :)
        Frankly, this topic excites me because it is at least one of many places to start to look at what makes the culture of Byz Nov recognizable and identifiable.

        Juliana
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 13, 2010
          Greetings,

          Interesting! I was the one who originally researched the list of Roman Virtues for Nova Roma. I had seen a partial set in a primary resource somewhere (can't remember now, this was fifteen years ago!) and went looking for others. Many of them shared the same word ending which was helpful.

          There may be similar word groupings in Greek, but I don't speak Greek! :(

          As far as a modern set, that's an intriguing idea. Any thoughts? If we came up with one or two the rest might well fall into place. With the Roman Virtues, they were all single words. I'm not sure it could be the same with this.

          For instance, I can't think of a word that encompasses "working to preserve the heritage of the Greek and Roman cultures"...

          -Cassius