98Re: Recipes!

    Mar 12, 2011
      Greetings,

      Very cool idea. Once we start getting real local Colonies going, we can hopefully start doing some public events. I used to do a public Roman Market Day for Nova Roma, where we offered a day of Roman food, shopping, presentations, etc. (I've only mentioned this what, a thousand times?)

      The Roman food was always a big hit. If there was a simple Byzantine menu (say three or four simple foods one might eat at lunch) that could be offered I'm sure it would be very popular. :)

      -Cassius

      --- In ByzantiumNovumCulture@yahoogroups.com, Amma Doukaina <ammadoukaina@...> wrote:

      > Sorry this is taking me so long to get back to! My email inbox is full
      > of things I need to clear up!
      >
      > At any rate, yes! My dream would be to set up and cook for folks. Much
      > can be learned by incorporating the historical foods. I have no doubt
      > that we'll be able to promote BN by offering tasty treats to people. I
      > would be happy to help the larger groups create menus and work with
      > those sorts of things if anyone decides to gather a bunch of folks up at
      > some point.
      >

      > Blessings,
      > Amma
      >
      > He who attains love cannot fall.
      >
      > ---Saint Macarius the Great
      >

      > On 2/15/2011 6:57 AM, Cassius wrote:
      > >
      > > Greetings Amma,
      > >
      > > I haven't been to this list in a while as I've been swamped at work.
      > > I've finally had a chance to check out these recipes... and now I'm
      > > hungry, lol!
      > >
      > > Some of these things would be great to try at live events. I used to
      > > run a yearly event in my town called "Roman Market Day"... we have a
      > > legion of Roman reenactors in the next state, and there was a
      > > gladiator troup that would come from MD. We'd have a Roman encampment
      > > where they would do presentations, weapons & marching drills, etc. The
      > > Gladiators would put on three live-steel shows over the course of the
      > > day as well. We had Roman oriented vendors... and Roman food! That was
      > > always a huge hit with the crowds. ;)
      > >
      > > I'm hoping we'll eventually reach the size where some of the Provinces
      > > can do live demonstrations, classes, etc... and serve a "taste of
      > > Byzantium" as well. Nothing makes a more pleasant learning experience.
      > >
      > > -Marcus Cassius Julianus
      > >
      > > --- In ByzantiumNovumCulture@yahoogroups.com
      > > <mailto:ByzantiumNovumCulture%40yahoogroups.com>, "ammadoukaina"
      > > <ammadoukaina@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I found this page and I was thrilled! I have looked it over and
      > > while it's not perfect, it's quite good. I thought perhaps someone
      > > would like to try their hand at something Byzantine!
      > > >
      > > > http://nvg.org.au/documents/other/byzantinerecipes.pdf

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic