87Re: [ByzantiumNovumCulture] Enough of the Byzantine crickets chirping in the silence...

  • J. C. Smith ispán
    Mar 7, 2011
      Hi there,

      In defense of the folks out west, I just finished reading a book about the Ostrogoths and am now reading a book about the Merovingian Franks and it's amazing how much of the old Roman stuff they carried over.  For example, the Ostrogoths had a Praetorian Praefect over Gaul nearly a century after Romulus Augustus was put aside and both kingdoms had Patricians of Rome.  Nearly all of the old Roman financial and political infrastructure out west was retained, with a mirrored Germanic one alongside (at least for the Ostrogoths, I haven't gotten as far in the book on Franks).

      I have always been of the opinion that you can learn a lot about a culture by studying the people around them and how they interact (that's actually what led to my interest in the Byzantines, from studying how the early medieval Hungarians worked with them).  For example, there was a lot of bad blood between the Franks and the Byzantines, arguing over which of them was the true heir to the Roman Empire and who (after 800AD) was really an emperor.

      I am also reading a good book about Byzantine Culture called Byzantium: The Empire of the New Rome, by Professor Cyril Mango (reviewers of his book call him "Professor Mango) but I can't do it -- it sounds too much like a health food super hero ha ha ha.  Mango is is a British scholar in the history, art, and architecture of the Byzantine Empire. He is a former King's College London and Oxford professor of Byzantine and Modern Greek Language and Literature.  When I first began to look at it, I assumed it was a history book, but it's not that at all. It's a description of the culture of the Empire and very interesting.  You can pick up your own copy for about a nickel (yes, you read that right) here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1898800448/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used.  I recommend it.

      "Since this is an era when many people are concerned about 'fairness' and 'social justice,' what is your 'fair share' of what someone else has worked for?"

                                  -- Thomas Sowell