529Re: [ByzantiumNovumCulture] Roman Water-Engineers #1

  • christopher england
    Feb 26, 2014
      I typically do most of my reading on the subject online, usually after something I see, hear, or read about piques my interest. I am a sort of an ameteur student of architecture, having had some hands on experience as a construction worker before I enlisted in the Navy. That interest is of a general nature, and beyond my more specific interest of fortifications ancient and modern, the engines and techniques used in both their defense and destruction, as well as field tactics from the High Middle Ages to early modern times. I can't say as I have done any print reading beyond encyclopedia articles and the odd magazine article that specifically focuses on ancient engineering, but if you want to round out your general understanding of mechanical engineering I would advise you to take a look at Kent's Mechanical Engineers' Handbook. I don't think it is still in print, but typing it into Google shows a number of used copies starting around $10. It contains a wealth of information on the subject that is not readily available online. I know because I checked. My dad has a copy that I wished for many times when I was in the Navy.

      On Tuesday, February 25, 2014 1:24 PM, James Mathews <JLMTopog@...> wrote:

      Salve Chris England;

      Thanks for the encouragement.  I have always admired ancient Engineering, and although I am not smart enough to get through an engineering course (math kills me!), I think that I can handle historical engineering.  I play the part of a senior engineer in my Civil War Unit, my Rev War Unit, and my Legio (Legio III-Cyrenaica).  I am getting a little long in the tooth for outdoors events but I can and do love to draw and make models.  I am currently working on a set of Roman Siege machinery, and as I finish each of the items, I will display them.  For some reason,  my blog builder (Picasa) has quit on me, and although I have reported it, I have recieved no answer.  Have you read any books lately about ancient Engineering that you can recommend?

      On Feb 25, 2014, at 12:42 AM, christopher england wrote:

      Keep up the good work. I find your contributions to be generally of particular interest to me. It would seem that our interests overlap to a large degree.

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic