459Fascinating Istanbul is full of mystery

  • jsmithcsa
    Dec 2, 2013
      Hi there,

      An interesting article I found on-line today.

      Dazzled by the tale of three cities: Fascinating Istanbul is full of mystery

      "The sun is setting over the ancient walls of Istanbul, walls that are almost 2,000 years old and witness to some of the bloodiest sieges in its history. Yet there are no tourists around: instead I find myself in a strange netherworld of shacks, hooded kids, wild dogs howling and vegetable gardens. The gardens grow next to the very walls built by the Emperor Theodosius II to defend this city.

      "The city has borne three names - Istanbul, Constantinople, Byzantium, the capital of two vast empires, one Christian, one Muslim, astride two continents, Asia and Europe."

      More at: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2516373/Holidays-Istanbul-Simon-Sebag-Montefiore-finds-fascinating-city-mystery.html#ixzz2mMOkKW2U

      Baduila

      BADUILA CHALKEUS
      Senator, Grand Chancellor of Byzantium Novum, Duke of Anatoliou Pelagous, etc.