358Re: [ByzantiumNovumCulture] Potato Substitution / Stinging Nettles

    Sep 21, 2012
      Well, I suppose we're all guilty of missing something sometimes, especially in emails; I know I am.. I could talk your ear off about medieval cooking, but sometimes it just blows past my brain in emails! I am certain there was no harm meant. I appreciate the recipes you send, and with a little thought, just about anything can be made medieval. That's what I love about cooking! You can easily move things around and make something fit various times and cultures!

      I'm happy to help find info for you any time! I admit that my knowledge of taro is a bit limited, but my understanding is that it's peeled, soaked overnight and then sliced or chunked up like a potato. I think I'd use parsnips just because they're easier to find in the market. I'm not a fan of turnips, although they'd work great too in that recipe!

      Glad you chose to continue to be involved. As a totally useless side note, I have a HUGE pot of Italian gravy on the stove. I got about 10 lbs of fresh tomatoes yesterday for free from my local fruit/veg stand folks (a nice older couple who use their garage to sell their garden goods). I couldn't resist making a big ol' pot of sauce!

      Blessings as always,
      Amma

      On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 06:10:51 -0400, James Mathews <JLMTopog@...> wrote:

      Lady Amma;

      The vegetables that you mention was exactly what I was looking for. I
      am not familiar with Taro, and so I wanted to learn a bit about it.
      Where better to look than to the Lady Amma?

      How can I refuse such a nicely worded request from a very special
      Lady? I will rescind my last and keep things going since you have
      requested such. I trust that if I mention something not known in BN
      that perhaps you would be kind enough to let me know a satisfactory
      replacement or substitute that I may learn from a "Master-Chef!!" I
      am still working on my training (Grin!).

      This is one of the things that urks me to some extent, is someone who
      points out another's errors, but offers nothing themselves.