355Re: [ByzantiumNovumCulture] Potato Substitution / Stinging Nettles

    Sep 18, 2012
      Yes, parsnips, carrots, turnips would have all been good substitutes. Taro
      was used by the Romans much like we use potatoes, so that seems the best
      substitute for them. The beauty of medieval cooking is that many things
      can be used/replaced and often were! It was about what was available to
      eat, and it often all got thrown in the pot with the leftovers to keep a
      good stew going.
      Thank you!

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic