347Potato Substitution / Stinging Nettles

    Sep 4, 2012
      Lady Amma;

      As I mentioned in the below recioe, Substitutions are encouraged for the recipe.  I am aware that potatoes were not used in the Byzantine Times, however, what would have been a suitable substtitute?  Turnips?, Beetroot?, Carrot?, Parsnip?, Taro?, Flower Bulb?, Artichoke?, Cardoon?, Leek?, Courgettes?, Cabbage?, Cauliflower?, Broccoli?, Brussel Sprouts?, or Mushrooms?

      Here s another recipe that you can use:

      Patina of Stinging Nettles

      Use only the light green shoots that grow in the Spring, and later in the year when the plant has been cut back.

      Aspicius wrote:

      "Pluck the wild stinging nettle when the sun is in the sign of the ram and use against sickness as you wish. (Ap. 102)

      He also gives a recipe:

      Warm or cold patina of stinging nettle: Take the stinging nettles, wash them, allow to drain and leave to dry on a board.  Chop finely.  Grind 6.8 grams of pepper, moisten with garum and stir.  Add 90 ml of garum and 164ml of oil.  Bring to a boil in a pot.  Once it has boiled, remove from pot and leave to cool.  Then oil a patina pan.  Break 8 eggs and beat them.  Put everything in the patina pan and place in the hot ashes so that it is heated both above and below.  When it is cooked, sprinkle ground pepper over it and serve.

      On Sep 3, 2012, at 9:35 PM, Amma Doukaina wrote:

      Since potatoes weren't part of the Byzantine diet, I think I'll keep that
      one out, but I will add in that mustard recipe!
      Thank you! I'm going to have to try to make that mustard!

      Amma

      On Mon, 03 Sep 2012 16:37:24 -0400, James Mathews <JLMTopog@...>
      wrote:

      Lady Amma;

      newsletter, I will be pleased to share  my recently developed recipe
      which is really good (in my view ) at any meal:

      "Taters 'n Peas"
      --Three medium potatoes peeled and sliced (1/4" thick);
      --Three cups of fresh peas;
      --One cup of onions sliced small;
      --Two cups of pork or fowl gravy;
      --Three tablespoons of margarine, oil, or butter;
      --Salt and Pepper to taste;
      --Water to cover the mixture;

      Put the Potatoes and Onions in a medium sized oven-safe bowl, add the
      peas, and add water to cover the potato / pea mixture.  Add the oil
      and the gravy.  Salt and Pepper to taste and stir until well mixed.
      Put in the heated oven (hot enough to boil water) for 15 minutes
      loosely covered with a dish (saucer).  Put the bowl on a plate as the
      mixture has a tendency to expand when heated.  After the 10 minutes
      remove from the oven, and wrap the bowl and saucer in a towel and
      leave for four hours.  This will finish bringing the potatoes and peas
      to the right consistency.  Serve with your favorite meat and salad.

      I like three slices of corned beef, with mustard and a small Cob
      Salad, sweet wine vinaigrette, together with grape juice (or wine).

      Suitable Substitutions are encouraged for the above recipe as
      desired.  You may use either or both of these recipes.
      ==============

      Mustard (sinapi):

      Just as it does today, the word mustard referred to the plant, its
      seeds, and the hot / spicy sauce made from them.  The romans made
      mustard much as we do:

        Mustard seed is carefully cleaned and sieved.  Then the seed is
      washed in cold water and soaked for two hours.  It is then taken out
      and the water is squeezed out by hand.  Put the seed into a new or
        cleaned mortar and pound it with a pestle.  When the mustard is
      finely ground, put it in the middle of the mortar and press it down
      with the palm of the hand.  Once it has been pressed flat, make
      some                                           incisions in it.  Place
      a few burning coals on top of it, and pour over soda water, to draw
      out the bitterness and pallor from the mustard.  Then lift the mortar
      and pour out the soda water.  Add strong vinegar and   mix it through
      the mustard with the mortar.

      Columella recommends that the mustard be mixed with ground almonds and
      pine kernels.

      --Reference:--
      Patrick Faas, "Around The Roman Table; Food and Feasting in Ancient
      Rome," (U of Chicago Press -- 1994), Page 160

      Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit.

      Hestia, you who tend the holy house of the lord Apollo, the Far-shooter at
      goodly Pytho, with soft oil dripping ever from your locks, come now into
      this house, come, having one mind with Zeus the all-wise, draw near, and
      withal bestow grace upon my song.
      -Homer- Hymn 24 to Hestia

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional