345Re: "Taters 'n Peas" / Mustard

    Sep 3, 2012
      Lady Amma;

      newsletter, I will be pleased to share my recently developed recipe
      which is really good (in my view ) at any meal:

      "Taters 'n Peas"
      --Three medium potatoes peeled and sliced (1/4" thick);
      --Three cups of fresh peas;
      --One cup of onions sliced small;
      --Two cups of pork or fowl gravy;
      --Three tablespoons of margarine, oil, or butter;
      --Salt and Pepper to taste;
      --Water to cover the mixture;

      Put the Potatoes and Onions in a medium sized oven-safe bowl, add the
      peas, and add water to cover the potato / pea mixture. Add the oil
      and the gravy. Salt and Pepper to taste and stir until well mixed.
      Put in the heated oven (hot enough to boil water) for 15 minutes
      loosely covered with a dish (saucer). Put the bowl on a plate as the
      mixture has a tendency to expand when heated. After the 10 minutes
      remove from the oven, and wrap the bowl and saucer in a towel and
      leave for four hours. This will finish bringing the potatoes and peas
      to the right consistency. Serve with your favorite meat and salad.

      I like three slices of corned beef, with mustard and a small Cob
      Salad, sweet wine vinaigrette, together with grape juice (or wine).

      Suitable Substitutions are encouraged for the above recipe as
      desired. You may use either or both of these recipes.
      ==============

      Mustard (sinapi):

      Just as it does today, the word mustard referred to the plant, its
      seeds, and the hot / spicy sauce made from them. The romans made
      mustard much as we do:

      Mustard seed is carefully cleaned and sieved. Then the seed is
      washed in cold water and soaked for two hours. It is then taken out
      and the water is squeezed out by hand. Put the seed into a new or
      cleaned mortar and pound it with a pestle. When the mustard is
      finely ground, put it in the middle of the mortar and press it down
      with the palm of the hand. Once it has been pressed flat, make
      some incisions in it. Place
      a few burning coals on top of it, and pour over soda water, to draw
      out the bitterness and pallor from the mustard. Then lift the mortar
      and pour out the soda water. Add strong vinegar and mix it through
      the mustard with the mortar.

      Columella recommends that the mustard be mixed with ground almonds and
      pine kernels.

      --Reference:--
      Patrick Faas, "Around The Roman Table; Food and Feasting in Ancient
      Rome," (U of Chicago Press -- 1994), Page 160