3Re: What would you consider the hallmarks of Byzantine culture?

    Apr 6, 2010
      Greetings Juliana,

      I believe there is a "Byzantine Literature Sodalitas" in the works, so there will be some cultural activites starting around here soon. :)

      My personal thoughts regarding "the hallmarks of Byzantine Culture" would include:

      * The Orthodox Church
      * A unique blending of Roman and Greek culture and identity
      * A fascinating history and cultural heritage
      * The preservation of ancient thought and philosophy
      * A unique and beautiful tradition of art and literature
      * A uniquie musical tradition
      * A unique and beautiful style of architecture

      There are more examples of course. The important thing to me at least is that "things Byzantine" are very recognizable - you know them when you see them! "Byzantine Culture" is unique, beautiful and therefore precious and deserving of both survival and revival.

      -Marcus Cassius Julianus

      --- In ByzantiumNovumCulture@yahoogroups.com, "julianabyz" <julianabyz@...> wrote:

      > I am Interested in starting the discussion and seeing where the group might have some initial focus.
      >
      > What would you consider uniquely the hallmarks of Byzantine culture? That which sets it apart from other cultures? That which is pronounced in Byz culture? That which is pervasive to Byza culture and society?
      >

      > Juliana

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic