222Oaths of Office for the New Year - 1 September 2011

  • J. C. Smith ispán
    Sep 1 4:02 AM
      Baduila Chalkeus, Senator and Vir illustris, Grand Chancellor and Foreign Minister of Byzantium Novum, etc., to the Officers of the Empire, greetings and best wishes for a happy new year.

      With the beginning of our new year on 1 September, it is time for all officers of the Empire to make their oaths of office in accordance with the Administrative Handbook ratified by the Senate on the 30th of March, 2011.

      “I swear that I will maintain a pure conscience with regard to my duties of my office of _______________________, and that I will render loyal service in the exercise of the duties that have been given to me; I am in compliance with laws of Byzantium Novum and the Senate; in no form and at no moment will I oppose them, nor will I permit anyone to do so, insofar as I am able to prevent it. I do also swear that I have truly given nothing to anyone nor will give anything for the position that has been conferred upon me or to obtain a patronage, that I have neither promised nor agreed to send anything at all from the provinces in order to obtain the support of the Senate, nor to the very glorious officers of the Empire, nor to other famous people who govern the administration, nor to their entourage, nor to anyone else, but that I have been granted my position without salary and can thus appear pure in the eyes of the subjects of our very illustrious Senate.”
      Modified version of a Byzantine functionary's oath of loyalty from the reign of Justinian and Theodora, 6th century. Such oaths were required from all dignitaries and high officials of the emperor's court from the 5th century onward.

      “I, (state your name and office), do swear Fealty and service unto the Empire of Byzantium Novum. To speak and to be silent, to do and to let be, To come and to go, in need and in plenty, In peace and in war, in living and in dying, From this hour henceforth, until my Lord release me, Death take me, or the world end.”
      All counts should swear the following oath on the main mailing list (ByzantiumNovum@yahoogroups.com) by the 30th of September:
      “I, (state your name and office), promise on my faith that I will in future be faithful to the Empire of Byzantium Novum, and will observe my loyalty to it completely against all persons in good faith and without deceit."
      Please swear your oath by the end of September.
      Baduila Chalkeus

      JEFFREY C. SMITH Ispán

      "You're never too old to do something stupid."  -- Keith Roth