exhibit

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 1998
      One of the books U+I have in my library is the catalogue of the Byron exhibit
      at the Victoria and Albert MUseum in 1974 commemorating the 150th anniversary
      of Byron's death.
      hile a catalogue is just a listing, this one has several pages of pictures in
      the last section so that one can see the people who featured in his life. Not
      all those are pictured of course and some who are are shown as they were
      before Byron knew them. There is a formal picture of his mother-in-law and
      one of his daughter as well as Lady Melbourne and Lady Oxford. Most of the
      people displayed are men. One is a picture of Byron's death. Several
      ilustrations from satirical prints are also included.
      In the catalog proper,the items are annotated.
      Byron gave Murray a Hemlock cup and went to some trouble to find Hemlock to
      put in it. ( note under item description of cup and cover)He also gave Sir
      Walter Scott a vase of silvercontaining human remains. Scott gave him a
      dagger .. mounted with gold . note on item description of letter

      There is a Grant of Special License for marriage of Byron which I wish I could
      see as well as the bill from Farquhar and Sladen for obtaining same.

      THe second earl of Clare looked a little like the actor who plays Henry
      Crawford in the BBC Mansfield Park.
      Byron in Albanian dress with a pencil thin mustache of 1814. If annabelle saw
      this painting or Byron like that no wonder she fell in love with him. An
      exotic bird even for Regency England.