Re: [Byron] August 31 1813: Byron Writes Again to Miss Milbanke | pastnow

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 9, 2013
      http://pastnow.wordpress.com/2013/08/31/august-311813-byron-writes-again-to-miss-milbanke/

      If I remember the correspondence correctly,  Byron was a bit bemused by the correspondence with a lady people called a "pattern card of propriety." I think Miss Milbanke thought of herself in that manner, as well. For instance, when invited to a country house for a visit  and informed that Lady Holland( a divorced woman) would be present, she is reputed to have said something  to the tune of  she believed her own reputation would protect her  from being besmirched by the presence of Lady Holland.
      In Sense and Sensibility   , Jane Austen  has characters  say and act on the belief that a couple who are exchanging letters are engaged to each other.
      If Jane Austen is correct, then when Byron proposed to Miss Milbanke, her refusal must have come as a shock to him for she had  given him every indication of interest -- though her letters  are quite proper and mainly discuss poetry and some "poets."
      It is difficult to fond any one who looks at Byron's life in an impartial manner. Everyone seems to  look at his life  from a predetermined  platform.  Certain interpretations are taken for granted  and  alternate ones aren't often  considered.  Byron's efforts to rebrand himself were all too successful.

      http://www.regencyresearcher.com