Byron Journal vol. 41. #1 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 8, 2013
      Sometimes some of the essays in the journal are too academic for my feeble brain. I did enjoy reading Hopps' "Gaiety and Grace: Byron and the Tone of Catholicism."  Hopps spends some time  suggesting a different  interpretation of the  "Ave Maria?  verses in Don Juan.
      Anne Falloon's essay on " Byron's Week in Middleton", gives a picture of a shy, young, awkward male. His diet is described as well.
      "his voice is piano, and his voice also [....] He always wears long  pantaloons of white linen, a long golden chain around his neck, and his shirt and frill are embroidered like a foreigner's"
      "How old is Don Juan?" Is the Question of" Don Juan and the Dirty Scythe of time." I just realized ( yes, I know I am slow) bit All the other Don Juans  are older men. Not necessarily old, just fully adult  and  well versed in seduction. They all had to start out some time, but I think Byron's  creation is the youngest of the lot.
       The Taming of Byron in the Netherlands appears to have something like the Bowdlerizing  of Byron as a subtitle.
      Several interesting books are reviewed  including one on Beethoven.
      One that appears very interesting is : Necromanticism: Traveling to Meet the Dead  Alas, it is offered at £50.

      http://www.regencyresearcher.com