Byron in Court

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 6, 2011
      In Byron Heritage and Legacy
      edited by Cheryl A Wilson, there is an essay on "Byron's 'Fragments of Stone' in the American Court of Appeals." The essay is by Nora Liassis.

      The country of Cyprus went after a antiquities dealer in the United States for selling ancient mosaics from a church in Cyrus. The dealer wasn't the one who robbed the church nor who was the first person who first sold them but she was the one who got caught.
      The case worked its way to the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
      Though Byron hadn't visited Cyprus and had no words explicitly about that country, the judge found lines in Byron's Siege of Corinth which he thought appropriate. I think the essay has a mistake as to the lines.
      They are mostly from Stanza XVIII
      There is a temple in ruin stands
      Fashion's by long forgotten hands;
      Two or three columns, and many a stone,
      Marble and granite, with grass o'er grown
      Out upon time! who forever will leave
      But enough of the past for the future to grieve
      O'er that which hath been , and o'er that which must be:
      What we have seen, our sons shall see;
      Remnants of thing that have passed away,
      Fragments of stone , rear'd by creatures of clay."
      The essay also mentions the Curse of Minerva.

      Cyprus V Goldberg.