Medora Gordon Byron

    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 15, 2010
      Much has been made of the fact that Augusta named her daughter, born in 1814, Medora. It was considered sinister that that was the name of one of Byron's heroine's .
      I have also found proof that the name was the name of a race horse with connections to the family. Now it seems there was an author named Medora Gordon Byron who published a book in 1812.
      She had published previous novels titled The Englishwoman,Hours of Affluence and days of Indigence, Modern Villa and Ancient castle, &c &c. These were published by the Minerva Press.
      I think that disposes of the name as a red flag.

      The Englishman: A novel ...
      By Medora Gordon Byron
      Nancy Mayer
      http://www.susannaives.com/nancyregencyresearcher/

    • Anne Mott
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 16, 2010
        This is intriguing - who in heaven is she? Some sort of distant relative?
        Are you sure it was 1812? Was she "using" the name? Where did you find this
        information?

        Anne

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 16, 2010
          I found the book on Google books and looked at the front page . The front page says 1812 and Minerva press.
          I came across it by accident as I was searching for something else.

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 16, 2010
            Medora Gordon Byron, whose identity is still a mystery, published probably nine early-nineteenth-century novels with the Minerva Press. Her fiction is exclamatory in style, interested in domesticity, and latterly in the unmarried (both men and women), given sometimes to commentary on novel-writing. The play and poem ascribed to someone of this name are almost certainly not by the same person.
            http://orlando.cambridge.org/public/svPeople?person_id=byrome