birthdates

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2010
      Many of the books I have on Byron and Augusta provide a list of the birth dates of Augusta's children. However, no where have I been able to find the source of these dates.
      as most of you should know by now, I do not believe that Elizabeth Medora was born on April 15, 1814, but that she was born at least a month earlier. She was baptized on May 20th, in Bottisham. I have seen the record of that baptism on a CD.
      One of the biographies of Augusta says that Georgiana was born in November 1808 and baptized in London in Jan. 1809, two months later.
      Sometimes the baby is said to have been baptized less than a month after birth . Most do seem to have been baptized a month after birth which would fit in with Medora being born in April.
      Yet, reading Byron's letters I can not escape the conviction that the child had been born before he returned to London in the first part of April, 1814. The letter is dated the 7th, I think, in which he says he has just arrived back from a visit to Augusta and the mother and child were doing well.

      I keep posting a message such as this in hope that someday someone will tell me the authority for the birthdates given.
      I'd also love it if someone who has a subscription to a genealogical site would look up the four children I couldn't find with my free search. I bought the CD of the records of the churches around Six Mile. That is where I discovered the records of Bottisham. BTW, where are the Gogamog Hills?
      These birth dates are all unauthenticated. I have seen the CD record from Bottisham of the baptisms. No birthdates given.
      Augusta Georgiana b. 1808 , 4 November

      bap. London in Jan 1809

      Augusta Charlotte b. 1811. 9 Feb.. Bap. Gogamog Hills

      George Henry John b. 1812, 3 June baptized 28 June Bottisham

      Elizabeth Medora b. 1814.15 April baptized 20 May Bottisham
      Frederick George b. 1816. 9 May baptized 3 June Bottisham

      Amelia Marianne b. 1817 . 27 Nov. Birth

      Henry Francis b. 1820 28 Jan. Birth

      Nancy Mayer
      http://www.susannaives.com/nancyregencyresearcher/