The Assyrians

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7, 2009
      Read This Aloud
      George Gordon Lord Byron (1788-1824)Read this aloud.

      The Destruction of Sennacherib

      The Assyrian came down like the wolf on the fold,
      And his cohorts were gleaming in purple and gold;
      And the sheen of their spears was like stars on the sea,
      When the blue wave rolls nightly on deep Galilee.
      Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green,
      What host with their banners at sunset were seen:
      Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown,
      That host on the morrow lay withered and strown.
      For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
      And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
      And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
      And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!
      And there lay the steed with his nostril all wide,
      But through it there rolled not the breath of his pride;
      And the foam of his gasping lay white on the turf,
      And cold as the spray of the rock-beating surf.
      And there lay the rider distorted and pale,
      With the dew on his brow, and the rust on his mail:
      And the tents were all silent, the banners alone,
      The lances unlifted, the trumpet unblown.
      And the widows of Ashur are loud in their wail,
      And the idols are broke in the temple of Baal;
      And the might of the Gentile, unsmote by the sword,
      Hath melted like snow in the glance of the Lord!
      Notes

      1] See Isaiah 37.33-38 (King James Version): "Therefore thus saith the Lord concerning the king of Assyria, He shall not come into this citie, nor shoot an arrow there, nor come before it with shields, nor cast a banke against it. By the way that he came, by the same shall he returne, and shall not come into this citie, saith the Lord. For I will defend this citie to saue it, for mine owne sake, and for my seruant Dauids sake. Then the Angel of the Lord went forth, and smote in the campe of the Assyrians a hundred and fourescore and fiue thousand: and when they arose earely in the morning, behold, they were all dead corpses. So Sennacherib king of Assyria departed, and went, and returned, and dwelt at Nineueh. And it came to passe as hee was worshipping in the house of Nisroch his god, that Adramelech and Sharezer his sons smote him with the sword, and they escaped into the land of Armenia: and Esarhaddon his sonne reigned in his stead."

      According to the Bible, the siege failed because the angel of Jehovah went forth and struck down 185,000 men in the Assyrian camp ( 2 Kings 19:35).

      Nancy Mayer
      http://www.susannaives.com/nancyregencyresearcher/

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 7, 2009
        A chilling poem in comparision to the previous one

        JEPHTHA'S DAUGHTER.

        Since our Country, our God-Oh, my Sire!
        Demand that thy Daughter expire;
        Since thy triumph was bought by thy vow-
        Strike the bosom that's bared for thee now !

        And the voice of my mourning is o'er,
        And the mountains behold me no more :
        If the hand that I love lay me low,
        There cannot be pain in the blow!

        And of this, oh, my Father! be sure-
        That the blood of thy child is as pure
        As the blessing I beg ere it flow,
        And the last thought that soothes me below.

        Though the virgins of Salem lament,
        Be the judge and the hero unbent!
        I have won the great battle for thee,
        And my Father and Country are free!

        When this blood of thy giving hath gush'd,
        When the voice that thou lovest is hush'd,
        Le t my memory still be thy pride,

        And forget not I smiled as I died!

        Nancy Mayer
        http://www.susannaives.com/nancyregencyresearcher/

      • amanuensa
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 9, 2009
          --- Hello,

          Nice to have some readings going on again.

          B's familiarity with the Bible gives the lie to his reputation as a
          godless corrupter.

          I have loved the "Assyrians" since I was a small girl when we sang it in
          church in England, all ignorant that it was a poem by a great Romantic
          poet. The same was true of Blake's "Jerusalem".

          It's the powerful and hypnotic meter that makes the poem so brilliant.