Images of Byron

    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 6, 2008
      www.englishhistory.net/byron/images.html
      Nancy Mayer
      http://www.susannaives.com/nancyregencyresearcher/

    • Anne Mott
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 11, 2008
        Nice work Nancy !!!

        I especially like the "letters from a lady". I'm afraid I don't like the
        Byron picture on the peers page though - one of those that make him so posh
        and arrogant looking when he was actually so amused and amusing.

        Anne

        _____

        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 11, 2008
          My friend the web designer chose the images. I can change them if I find a good substitute.

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 11, 2008
            The Death of princess Charlotte was greeted much like the death of Diana Princess of Wales in our own time. Songs, poems, cups, dishes, posters, paintings are just some of the items manufactured as memorials of Princess Charlotte. She, also, was compared to a rose, and was called the Rose of England.

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 18 11:14 AM
              www.englishhistory.net/byron/images.html

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 18 6:44 PM
                In case you missed it before
                http://www.slate.com/id/2222669/?gt1=38001

              • emmh@ntlworld.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 21 2:21 AM
                  I find the comment left by a reader even more disturbing.

                • nmayer@bellsouth.net
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 21 4:46 AM
                    Most of the comments disturbed me becuase they lacked critical thinking. The readers appear to think that if something is written in a biography or a review , it has to be true.
                    Nancy
                    -------------- Original message from emmh@...: --------------

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 21 8:44 AM
                      You did a fine job of clarifying the bias of the biographers.

                      There appears to be an immovable conviction to the effect that all women in
                      sexual relationships are victims of male self-centered aggression. The true
                      biography of Byron indicates the opposite. He actually complained of being
                      the most ravished person since antiquity.

                      I once knew a man with the same sexual magnetism - he found it to be a great
                      annoyance. I walked behind him through a shopping mall and observed young
                      women tripping over each other to look at him and their mothers continuing
                      to stare for minutes. A young boy even approached and offered his sister for
                      a date. My friend found it to be very embarrassing.

                      <mailto:emmh%40ntlworld.com> : --------------

                      > I find the comment left by a reader even more disturbing.
                      >
                      > On 19 Jul 2009, at 02:44, Nancy Mayer wrote:
                      >
                      > > In case you missed it before
                      > > http://www.slate.com/id/2222669/?gt1=38001
                      > >
                      > > Nancy Mayer
                      > > http://www.susannaives.com/nancyregencyresearcher/

                      Internal Virus Database is out of date.
                      1:01 PM

                    • nmayer@bellsouth.net
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 21 9:13 AM
                        Byron , like his Don Juan, was more the object of seduction , than the seducer.
                        A look at the list of supposed and known lovers shows no innocent young ladies , except his wife. She thought she cpuld reform him and so was not only innocent but blind to reality.
                        The others , except for Claire Clairmont, were married and willingly risked their marriages and reputations to committ adultery. Let's not make them out to be sweet innocents who were overcome by an evil seducer. Most were not only married but older than he.
                        Claire Clarmont was not married but knew he was. She also know the rules of marriage enough to know that she could never be anything to him except a sometime bed partner. We do not know whether or not she was a virgin when she popped into his bed. As I said, she knew he was married and that nothing could come of this liasion. Well, a baby came of it, which she had no way to support.
                        One reason Byron removed Allegra was that he did not want her to be brought up without any moral or religious training. Seeing they were in Italy, the practical place for her was a convent school. he recognized ehr as his child, paid for her support, played with her, and had her with him quite often, considering that his hosuehold was not set up to care for a child.
                        It was just their bad luck that the child died . Though why he should be scourged for her death when the Shelleys lost several children, I do not know. Childhood death was a fact of life.
                        Teresea G, Byron's last mistress, was more faithful to him than to her husband. She also knew that whether or not she was free, he wasn't.
                        Lady Caroline Lamb was the most public of his affaires in England -- due more to her histrionics than anything he did. She also knew the rules of the game-- that a woman went quietly when the affaire was over. Married women who engaged in affaires didn't really have much of a leg to stand on to complain of the lover's behavior. They could always break it off and be faitful to their husbands.
                        Nancy

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 25 1:19 PM
                          In which county was Seaham located? So many parishes and shires have started making their parish registers available on CD and fiche that I wonder if it is possible to find the record of Byron's wedding. Has anyone seen the parish register of that wedding?
                          Though I understand her cousin, who had a parish elsewhere, married them, and that they had a special license, the marriage was supposed to be recorded in the register in the parish where it took place.