  • nmayer@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2007
      Emily Leigh, was the daughter of Augusta Leigh - who
      was the sister of Lord Byron. Her gamester father,
      Colonel Leigh, left her penniless, and on the death of
      her mother in 1852, Emily was so badly off that she
      had "to live at 8 Sheffield Terrace, off Kensington
      Church Street, with her mother's maid, Mary Anne
      Turner, the lease on the house was taken in Murs
      Turner's name: 'therefore I shall be her lodger',
      Emily explained."
      (M. & M. Bakewell, "Augusta Leigh" London 2000, p 377)

      From another list.

      Has any one seen anything about the book mentioned above? I did not even know it had been published. I wonder how Augusta is presented. Many authors take their clue from Anna isabel and call her either amoral or look at her as having borderline mentality. She geenrally is balmed for the fact that the family coffers were usually running on empty-- in direct contradiction to the laws of the day which gave all the power into the hands of the husband. Col. leigh ahd a shady reputation and mixing in the race track set was not conducive to living a life of economy and frugality.
      Byron left everything he had to his sister. Each child was given something like a 2000£ bond. It was this money Anna Isabel encouraged Elizabeth Medora to sue her mother for. Augusta was supporting the family on the income from these bonds.
      Lady Byron had so much money she sent her own jointure of £2000 a year to the new Lord Byron ( in 1824)