[Fwd: [C18-L] New Poetry Database]

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2007
      :

      I'm pleased to announce the web publication of a project I've been
      working on for fifteen years: English Poetry 1579-1830: Spenser and
      the Tradition. This (mostly) full-text database tracks literary
      genealogies in English poetry from Spenser to the romantics, containing
      well over a million lines of verse (bare-bones text) linked to criticism
      and biography for over a thousand writers.

      The URL is http://englishpoetry.org/

      The project attempts full enumerations of significant series of poems --
      works in Spenserian stanzas, dialect pastorals, imitations of Spenser
      and Milton, Collins and Gray, Burns and Byron -- enabling scholars to
      track developments in English poetry in an unprecedented degree of
      detail. Since the larger point is to relate traditions in writing to
      traditions in reading, the database also attempts to trace the critical
      reception (or neglect) of all the poems and authors included.

      "English Poetry" differs from most other literary databases in ways that
      I hope will make it particularly useful to literary historians, such as
      gathering in one place work by English, Scottish, Irish, and American
      writers. The poems are indexed by topic, genre, and verse form, and are
      linked to biographical and demographic information so that one could,
      for example, search for imitations of Gray's Elegy composed by American
      poets, Cambridge graduates, or associates of Thomas Warton. The
      database is designed to allow easy movement between a poet's verse and
      what they had to say as a critic of their peers and predecessors.
      Perhaps it will prove most useful as a copious source of material about
      major and minor writers drawn from out-of-the-way sources.

      I would welcome the assistance members of the list in correcting errors
      and filling in omissions. Like other projects undertaken by overweening
      antiquaries this one has its quirks, but with your assistance I will try
      to make it more accurate, intelligible, and up to date than it would
      otherwise be. If you find it useful, please drop me a line: a case
      needs to be made to the university that publishing a database equivalent
      to publishing a book. It's certainly more labor-intensive!

      new year's greetings to all,

      David Radcliffe
      Department of English
      Virginia Tech