Re: Byron's and other boys' education

  • amanuensa
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 31, 2006
      Byron went to Dulwich school (which still exists)and then to Harrow.
      Latin would have been in the school curriculum back at Aberdeen - hence
      the tale of the little boy bursting into tears when addressed
      as "Dominus Byron" by the head teacher there when he inherited the
      title. Greek would have been at Harrow (and possibly at Dulwich) but
      Classical, not Demotic, so he could not speak contemporary Greek.

    • nmayer@bellsouth.net
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 1, 2006
        I am not clear as to when the boys started the study of Greek. Also, I thought Byron was at a school in Scotland when he inherited the title and that he was sent to an small school to be tutored in Latin before he could enter Harrow .
        What other subjects would the boys ahve been taught?
        Nancy

        > From: "amanuensa" <Anne@...>
        > Date: 2006/11/01 Wed AM 02:07:50 EST
        > To: Byron@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [Byron] Re: Byron's and other boys' education
        >
        > Byron went to Dulwich school (which still exists)and then to Harrow.
        > Latin would have been in the school curriculum back at Aberdeen - hence
        > the tale of the little boy bursting into tears when addressed
        > as "Dominus Byron" by the head teacher there when he inherited the
        > title. Greek would have been at Harrow (and possibly at Dulwich) but
        > Classical, not Demotic, so he could not speak contemporary Greek.
        >
        > --- In Byron@yahoogroups.com, Nancy Mayer <nmayer@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Has any one made a list or recorded what Byron studied at school?
        > > Wasn't he sent to a small school in England after he became baron,
        > in
        > > order to bring him up to scratch in Latin?
        > > Also, generally, does any one know when the boys were first taught
        > > Greek? If they were.
        > > Nancy

      • amanuensa
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 1, 2006
          --- In Byron@yahoogroups.com, <nmayer@...> wrote:

          > I am not clear as to when the boys started the study of Greek.

          As a "grammar school" Harrow would have been conducted in Latin and
          Greek. All the reading and memory work would have been from
          classical sources. The "learning" of latin and Greek as languages
          would have come first.

          I learned Latin starting in Grade five, but by then Byron would have
          been studying Seneca, Tacitus, Aristotle, etc. in the original
          languages.

          > Also, I thought Byron was at a school in Scotland when he
          inherited the title

          Yes, at Aberdeen.

          > and that he was sent to an small school to be tutored in Latin
          before he could enter Harrow .

          He had a tutor in Nottingham and then went to Dulwich which was not a
          small school.

          > What other subjects would the boys ahve been taught?

          Not much, but he was obviously familiar with Shakespeare, Milton and
          a lot of history. Much of this he did on his own. He reported a
          frightening list of reading he had done by the time he was ten,
          before the inheritance.
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 1, 2006
            Thank you. I had not known about Dulwich. For some reason that school
            completely escaped my notice. I had not paid detailed attention to
            Byron's young days, but now find my self needing some information about
            his education..
            Where was Dulwich and what can you tell us about it?
            Nancy
          • emmh@ntlworld.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 2, 2006
              Dulwich is now a suburb of London - I inadvertently passed the school
              in late September when having to take a horrendous detour to Heathrow
              Airport - If I'm not mistaken it is on the east side of London. Had I
              known we would have had to take that route, and had I remembered that B
              went there, I would have brought my camera!

              Elizabeth
              On 2 Nov 2006, at 02:06, Nancy Mayer wrote:

              > Thank you. I had not known about Dulwich. For some reason that school
              > completely escaped my notice. I had not paid detailed attention to
              > Byron's young days, but now find my self needing some information
              > about
              > his education..
              > Where was Dulwich and what can you tell us about it?
              > Nancy

            • amanuensa
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 2, 2006
                Marchand says B attended John Bower's school when he was five, had
                two tutors, Ross and Paterson who taught him to read and learn Latin
                (at the age of six), the Grammar School at Aberdeen in 1794. He
                became heir presumptive at the age of six and a half. They did not
                learn writing at the Grammar School, so he attended Mr. Duncan's
                Writing School across the street during supper break. He read history
                books (especially of Turkey and Arabia), travel books, Don Quixote,
                Smollet's novels, Roman history and the Old Testament Bible before he
                was ten.

                He went to school at Dulwich in September, 1799.

                A link to Dulwich College history

                http://www.dulwich.org.uk/Document_1.aspx?id=1:29089&id=1:29083

                --- In Byron@yahoogroups.com, emmh@... wrote:

                > Dulwich is now a suburb of London - I inadvertently passed the
                school
                > in late September when having to take a horrendous detour to
                Heathrow
                > Airport - If I'm not mistaken it is on the east side of London.
                Had I
                > known we would have had to take that route, and had I remembered
                that B
                > went there, I would have brought my camera!
                >
                > Elizabeth
                > On 2 Nov 2006, at 02:06, Nancy Mayer wrote:
                >
                > > Thank you. I had not known about Dulwich. For some reason that
                school
                > > completely escaped my notice. I had not paid detailed attention
                > > Byron's young days, but now find my self needing some
                information
                > > about
                > > his education..
                > > Where was Dulwich and what can you tell us about it?
                > > Nancy

              • lazarusoutcast
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 3, 2006
                  Dulwich is in the borough of Southwark in London. I've an
                  illustration of Dr. Glennie's Academy posted at:
                  in the Places Associated With Byron/England photo album.

                  Laz

                • emmh@ntlworld.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 4, 2006
                    Apologies, but what I passed was the massive Dulwich College - founded
                    in the 17th century and not Dr Glennie's Academy. Perhaps it is now a
                    private building, as I found no mention of it in the Dulwich.co.uk
                    website (didn't look very hard though!).

                    E.

                    On 3 Nov 2006, at 21:13, lazarusoutcast wrote:

                    > Dulwich is in the borough of Southwark in London. I've an
                    > illustration of Dr. Glennie's Academy posted at:
                    > in the Places Associated With Byron/England photo album.
                    >
                    > Laz
                    >
                    > --- In Byron@yahoogroups.com, emmh@... wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Dulwich is now a suburb of London - I inadvertently passed the
                    > school
                    > > in late September when having to take a horrendous detour to
                    > Heathrow
                    > > Airport - If I'm not mistaken it is on the east side of London. Had
                    > > known we would have had to take that route, and had I remembered
                    > that B
                    > > went there, I would have brought my camera!
                    > >
                    > > Elizabeth
                    > > On 2 Nov 2006, at 02:06, Nancy Mayer wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > Thank you. I had not known about Dulwich. For some reason that
                    > school
                    > > > completely escaped my notice. I had not paid detailed attention to
                    > > > Byron's young days, but now find my self needing some information
                    > > > about
                    > > > his education..
                    > > > Where was Dulwich and what can you tell us about it?
                    > > > Nancy

                  • lazarusoutcast
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 4, 2006
                      The original building was torn down shortly after Dr. Glennie's
                      departure. However, I believe another structure now exists on the
                      site. There used to be a well on the grounds tapped into a hot
                      spring- Byron and the others sometimes 'took' the waters- down their
                      gullet- as one does in Bath- ahhh, the lovely SUPHURIC brew!

                      Laz

                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 4, 2006
                        I asked about the whereabouts of Dulwich school that Byron attended
                        because there are many different Dulwich schools and colleges with
                        pages on the web. One is close to London and old enough , but I do not
                        know if

                        Dr. Glennie was ever there.
                        Nancy
                      • lazarusoutcast
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 5, 2006
                          I believe I answered your question, Nancy. Dr. Glennie's Academy was
                          on Dulwich Grove near Peckham and Sydenham Common in what is now the
                          borough of Southwark, South London. It no longer exists; it was torn
                          down shortly after Dr. Glennie's departure. Check mapquest.com for
                          your bearings.

                          Laz

                          --- In Byron@yahoogroups.com, Nancy Mayer <nmayer@...> wrote:

                          > I asked about the whereabouts of Dulwich school that Byron attended
                          > because there are many different Dulwich schools and colleges with
                          > pages on the web. One is close to London and old enough , but I do
                          not
                          > know if
                          >
                          > Dr. Glennie was ever there.
                          > Nancy

                        • amanuensa
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 5, 2006
                            Although I was too young to remember anything of it, my family lived
                            at Dulwich. I have touched so many places with Byronic connections
                            it is creepy. I stayed at Shelley's house in Lerici and had my hair
                            done in Byron's rooms at Rome, both completely by accident.

                            --- In Byron@yahoogroups.com, "lazarusoutcast" <lazarusoutcast@...>